Monday, October 26, 2009

Godly Hope




(Prov 14:32 GW) A wicked person is thrown down by his own wrongdoing, but even in his death a righteous person has a refuge.


This morning we continue our series In this verse Solomon reminds us that the wicked will reap what they sow and that the believer can always (even after death) find refuge in God.

The word “refuge” in this text is also translated as hope. As believers we have a hope that springs eternal. While the wicked face challenges and are often overwhelmed, we too face challenges, but we can find hope and refuge in our God. No matter what we face, no matter how difficult the situation, no matter how hard the challenge, we can face every obstacle with God on our side. We you are confident that God is on you, in you, with you, and for you, it gives you an internal confidence – a living hope – that cannot be shaken!

Even when we are facing death, as believers, we know that our hope does not die with us. We can even face death with a smile on our face and with the confidence of knowing that our relationship with God is intact. Back in chapter 11 Solomon talked about this eternal hope that can look death in the face and keep on going. He said, “At the death of an upright man his hope does not come to an end, but the hope of the evil-doer comes to destruction” (11:7).

In the book of Romans Paul teaches us a great deal about our hope in God. In Romans 15:4 Paul said, “Such things were written in the Scriptures long ago to teach us. And the Scriptures give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God's promises to be fulfilled.”

Paul tells us that the scriptures of old were documented for us so that we could have hope and encouragement while we patiently wait for the manifestation of God’s promises in our lives.

When we read about what God did for Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, David, Daniel, Peter, James, John, Paul, and etc., it should give us hope; Godly hope, eternal hope. Just like He responded to the faith of others, He WILL respond to our faith.

The expectation of His manifestation is the source of our hope. In the 13th verse Paul aptly called God, “The God of Hope” that enables us to “Abound in hope, by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Once again, this Godly hope (that we abound in by the power of the Holy Spirit) not only helps when we face temporal challenges, but it gives us internal and eternal peace when facing death.

The wicked don’t have this hope. To illustrate this point let’s look at a story that Jesus told in Luke chapter 16. It is the story of the rich man and Lazarus. In this story there was a certain rich man who lived in luxury every day. A beggar named Lazarus sat at his gates. The rich man never paid any attention to Lazarus. He simply went on with his life. Lazarus would have been content to eat the leftovers from the rich man’s house, but the rich man did not show him any mercy. Although Jesus did not say it, I am sure that the rich man had hope and plans for his future, as did Lazarus. They both had hope, but when they died only the hope of one of them lived on. After death Lazarus went to Abraham’s bosom and the rich man went to hell. The rich man begged for relief from the agony of the everlasting fire, while Lazarus abounded in his hope.

So what does this mean to you ? It means that you don’t have to be concerned about the wicked; they will done-in by their wrongdoing. All you have to do is focus on the God of Hope and remember that your hope (IN GOD) lasts forever. When this type of hope is flowing through you, you know that God is your refuge, strength, strong tower, deliverer, and everlasting hope! As you enter this day remember that your God is “The God of Hope” and that His hope never dies!

Father, I thank You for being The God of Hope for me. I don’t concern myself with the efforts of the ungodly. I don’t consume my thoughts with their lives. I focus on You and I know that in You I have hope. My hope in you lasts beyond the grave. No matter what I face today or this week, I know that I will face it WITH The God of Hope on my side. Father, Your hope is so strong in me that I know, without a shadow of doubt, that you are my refuge, my strength, my strong tower, my deliverer, and I shall not be afraid! I have fearless confidence in the God of my salvation! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment