Friday, October 16, 2009

Peace and Protection




(Prov 14:26 CEV) If you respect the LORD, you and your children have a strong fortress.

This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon teaches us about Godly protection. The protection Solomon speaks of is not just available for the believer, but also for the believer’s children.

The word translated as “respect” in this text is also translated as “fear,” and the word translated as “fortress” is also translated as “refuge.” Solomon seemingly breaks away from giving us proverbs to give us a statement of fact for the believer. This is more of a promise than a proverb. It’s a reminder for all of us that our God (Jehovah) is able to protect us. Not only that, but because we fear the Lord, His protection is also made available to our children.

I looked up the word refuge in Noah Webster’s 1828 dictionary and this is what it says: a shelter or protection from danger or distress; a sanctuary that secures safety by its sacredness; any place inaccessible to the enemy.

Isn’t that awesome? When we fear (respect and reverence) the Lord, He becomes a shelter for us; a sanctuary that is inaccessible to the enemy. I often quote Proverbs 18:10 when I pray, where Solomon said: “The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.” I know a thing or two about God’s safety. Not only did God deliver me from danger (many times) when I was out in the world doing my foolish things, but He has also protected me everywhere I have been. I can say, without reservation, that fear has no power over me. I am not afraid. I know that the Lord is my strong tower and I also trust in Him to protect my family back at home and in Huston.

Actually, in this verse Solomon sounds like his father David. David wrote:

“O God, listen to my cry! Hear my prayer! From the ends of the earth, I cry to You for help when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the towering rock of safety, for You are my safe refuge, a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me. Let me live forever in Your sanctuary, safe beneath the shelter of Your wings! For You have heard my vows, O God. You have given me an inheritance reserved for those who fear Your name” (Psalm 61:1-5).

Jehovah is our rock of safety, He is our fortress and strong tower, He is our shield and strength, He is our sanctuary of serenity, He is our God and besides Him there is no other! Paul had been through many dangerous situations and the Lord delivered him from them all. Paul’s experiences led him to ask the question:

“What should we say then? Since God is on our side, who can be against us?” (Rom 8:31).

And remember, the reality of our redemption from fear is not just for us, but also for our children. Later in Proverbs Solomon said,

“The righteous who walks in his integrity—blessed are his children after him!” (20:7).

So what does this mean to you ? It means that your reverence for the Lord and your belief in His promises should give you overwhelming confidence concerning His protection for both you and your children. You don’t have to be subject to the bondage of fear.

Jesus died and rose from the dead. He conquered death. He took the string out of death and the victory from the grave (1 Cor 15:55,56). So we now, as believers, can receive deliverance from the bondage of the fear of death, which is actually the fear that all other fears stem from (Heb 2:14,15).

Fear not! Exercise confidence that the God of your salvation will also be the God of your protection – for you and your entire household!

Father, I declare, right now, that You are my refuge, my shelter, my place of safety, my deliverer, my God, and I trust in You. Some trust in chariots, and some trust in horses, but I shall trust in the name of the Lord my God. The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run into it and are safe. Jesus conquered death and I will do the same. He took the sting out of death and robbed the grave of its victory. Fear has not power over me. NO FEAR HERE! My relationship with You, Father, gives overwhelming confidence in Your ability to protect me and my family. I enter this day with complete, total, and steadfast

No comments:

Post a Comment