Friday, October 23, 2009

Walking in God’s Love



(Prov 14:31 MSG) You insult your Maker when you exploit the powerless; when you're kind to the poor, you honor God.


This morning we continue our series In this verse Solomon shifts from teaching about controlling your emotions to the treatment of the poor and disadvantaged. Jesus Himself acknowledged the fact that there would always be poor people in the world (Mat 26:11). For a myriad of reasons (self-inflicted or otherwise) there will always be poor among us.

Solomon was a political and national leader, but his lesson here is not about national politics. Solomon is not trying to make a point about the position the government should on the treatment of the poor. No, his instruction is personal and individual. He wants us to know that it honors God when we are kind to the poor and it insults Him when we exploit them. The Bible is full of teaching concerning the treatment of the poor. Solomon himself had several things to say about the topic. Later in Proverbs Solomon said:

“Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to poverty will be cursed” (17:22) and “Don't take advantage of the poor or cheat them in court. The LORD is their defender, and what you do to them, he will do to you” (22:22,23). Solomon shared scriptures that encouraged us to be a blessing to the poor, reminding us that we would be rewarded for it. And then again, he also shared several scriptures that warn us against mistreating them, because God Himself would come to their defense.

Job understood what Solomon was teaching very well. In the 31st chapter of the book that bears his name, he explained how well he treated his employees and the poor, and how he knew God would deal with him if he didn’t.

Job said: “If I have been unfair to my male or female servants when they brought their complaints to me, how could I face God? What could I say when He questioned me? For God created both me and my servants. He created us both in the womb. Have I refused to help the poor, or crushed the hopes of widows? Have I been stingy with my food and refused to share it with orphans? No, from childhood I have cared for orphans like a father, and all my life I have cared for widows. Whenever I saw the homeless without clothes and the needy with nothing to wear, did they not praise me for providing wool clothing to keep them warm? If I raised my hand against an orphan, knowing the judges would take my side, then let my shoulder be wrenched out of place! Let my arm be torn from its socket! That would be better than facing God's judgment. For if the majesty of God opposes me, what hope is there?” (see Job 31:13-23).

Wow.

Job vividly explains the point Solomon is trying to make. Job would rather have had his arm ripped out of socket than to face and angry God for mistreating His people.
So what does this mean to you To me it means that you should walk in love. Yes, I could show you the litany of scripture that supports the fact that you will be blessed for showing mercy to the poor and I could provide a laundry list of warnings, showing the bad harvest you will reap if you mistreat them, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to love. God is love (1st John 4:8). As a child of God you are commanded to walk in His love daily.

I should have to bribe you to do good, by promising a blessing; and I should not have to scare you into doing right, by telling you that God is going to get you if you don’t.

The bottom line is that we are called to walk in love and we should never seek to exploit or take advantage of anyone, period. A person’s socio-economic status, race, color, creed, or gender, should not matter.

When you walk in God’s love you seek to be a blessing (and not a curse) to as many people as you can every day of your life!

Father, Thank You for blessing me to be a blessing. I declare, right now, by faith, that I will walk in Your love every day of my life. Not only will I not take advantage of the disadvantaged and not only will I have mercy on the poor, but I will seek to be a blessing to anyone and every one. Your love in me is so strong that it keeps me from operating in bitterness, malice, unforgiveness, wickedness, and evil. I honor You today, Father, not just by being a blessing to the poor, but by being a blessing to ALL PEOPLE! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment