Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Godly Metamorphosis


(Prov 14:33 TNIV) Wisdom reposes in the heart of the discerning and even among fools she lets herself be known.

This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon points out an important difference between the person who operates in God’s wisdom and the fool. He tells us that wisdom (or Lady wisdom, as He commonly refers to her) reposes in the heart of the discerning, but she only makes herself known to fools.

Quite honestly, I had to read this verse from many different translations, read several commentaries from Biblical scholars, and pray, before I was able to glean a message from it.

The beginning portion of the scripture is pretty straightforward. This translation says that wisdom reposes in the heart of the discerning. Other translations say that she rests in the heart of those with understanding.

The point being that Lady wisdom is able to rest, relax, and make her habitation in the heart of those who embrace God’s way of doing things.
Lady wisdom is welcome and her input becomes second nature. Like I said, that portion of the text is not confusing at all. However, the latter portion is worded in such a way that could cause confusion. After doing some research and praying (most importantly), I believe Solomon is telling us that Lady wisdom exposes herself to fools, to make her wisdom available to them, but fools don’t welcome her input. While Lady wisdom is able to make herself known, she is not allowed to live in the hearts of the foolish. In their foolishness they resist her constant attempts to get them on track. The foolishness of the fool keeps them in their state of foolishness.

This reminds me of something Paul said in his letter to the church at Rome. He wrote:

“Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect” (Rom 12:2).
When we come to God, receive His Spirit, embrace His Word, and apply His teaching, we definitely change the way we think. We are literally transformed. The Greek word used in this text for “transform” is the word metamorphoo. This word is where we get our English word metamorphosis. We know that a metamorphosis is no slight change. When you look at a caterpillar and then look at a butterfly, they don’t even look close. If you took ‘before and after’ photos of a caterpillar-turned-butterfly you would never think the two were the same creature. The transformation is so drastic that it looks like another species all together. This is what should happen to the believer.

When I meet someone today that knew me prior to my salvation experience invariably comment on how different I am. The person I was and the person I am are not even close. My mind has been transformed to think like God thinks. My heart has been transformed to feel like God feels. My will has been transformed to make decisions that line up with God’s Word. Why? Because Lady wisdom reposes, rests, abides in my heart. She quietly and constantly dwells in my heart and her input has become so welcome that it is hard to differentiate between her input and my own.

So what does this mean to you? It means that Lady wisdom is available to you! She WILL make herself known to everyone; even to fools. But she wants to make her habitation in your heart. She wants to setup camp in your innermost being. Will you let her? Will you allow God’s wisdom to transform you into the person He desires for you to be?

Take it from me, while change is never easy, the metamorphic experience available to you in God is awesome and definitely worth it!

Father, I thank You for sending Lady wisdom to me. She makes herself known to me and instead of fighting against her input, I welcome her and I invite her to make her habitation in my heart. I want her to repose there. As she does, I declare, by faith, that I go through the metamorphosis the Father desires for me to go through. My mind (my thinker), my emotions (my feeler), and my will (my chooser) are all transformed. I become a different person from the inside-out. I learn to think, feel, and choose God’s way and Lady wisdom’s input becomes so second nature to me that it is hard to differentiate between her input and my own. In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment