Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Work Hard!!




(Prov 14:23 NIrV) All hard work pays off. But if all you do is talk, you will be poor.

This morning we continue In this verse Solomon goes back to another popular theme in his teachings: hard work! The New King James Version reads, “In all labor there is profit, But idle chatter leads only to poverty.” There is nothing to decipher here. Hard work is profitable; idle talk leads to nothing but poverty.

Back in chapter six Solomon urged us to learn some of our life-lessons from the ant. He said, “Though they have no prince or governor or ruler to make them work, they labor hard all summer, gathering food for the winter” (6:7,8). From this we learn that we should be self-motivated, hard working, representatives for God every day. But Solomon did not stop there. He went on to say: “But you, lazybones, how long will you sleep? When will you wake up? A little extra sleep, a little more slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest — then poverty will pounce on you like a bandit; scarcity will attack you like an armed robber” (6:9-11).

It was in this passage that I first highlighted the connection between laziness and poverty. Solomon made it clear that if you are too lazy to work, then you will find yourself with scarcity, lack, and poverty, and it will NOT be God’s fault.

The latter portion of our text deals with those who talk more than they do. Instead of doing much and talking little, they talk much and do little. Paul has something to say about this in the New Testament. In Paul’s second letter to the church in Thessalonica, he said, “If a man will not work, he shall not eat” (2nd Thes 3:10).

I believe that’s plain enough. We all need to work. But then Paul goes on to address the real issue. Paul had received word that some of the members of the church in Thessalonica were more focused on being busybodies, than being busy. So he said, “Yet we hear that some of you are living idle lives, refusing to work and meddling in other people's business. We command such people and urge them in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and work to earn their own living” (verses 11,12). Instead of getting busy in other people’s lives, they just needed to get busy working on their own.

Getting back to Solomon’s teachings, we go back to chapter 10 and we read, “Lazy hands bring poverty, but hard-working hands bring riches” (10:4). Whenever I read a scripture like this or I mention it to another believer, many immediately make the connection between the word “riches” in the Bible, with spiritual riches. While I know that in Christ we have eternal and countless riches, I have to point out that this verse, and many more like, refer to natural riches (earthly wealth). Solomon is making it clear that if you want to ahead in life – in any area – you are going to have to work for it.

I challenge you to find ONE person, in the entire Bible, that God used mightily, who was lazy.


So what does this mean to you ? It means that if you want to prosper (spiritually or naturally) you are going to have to work diligently. If all you do is sit around and talk while you should be working, then it won’t be long before your employer gives you more time to talk, by giving you a pink slip. But if you work hard and you learn your craft, it will pay off in both the natural and spiritual realms.

I will close with something Solomon said later in Proverbs: “Observe people who are good at their work – skilled workers are always in demand and admired; they don't take a back seat to anyone” (22:29).
Father, I thank You for teaching me the value of hard work. I declare, right now, by faith, that I will be a diligent worker all the days of my life. I overcome laziness. I refuse to sit around and spend my time in idle talk. When I do say I am going to do something, I back up with words with action. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. I put my hands to DO all that You have blessed me to do and I know that I will profit – spiritually and naturally – because of it! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment