Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Blessed TO BE a Blessing


Prov 18:23 The poor must beg for help, but the rich can give a harsh reply.

Let's remember who is writing as we read this. Solomon is a sitting King who is running a nation with a billion dollar surplus. He had dealings with the rich and the poor. However, from his position, the majority of his dealings with the poor were with those coming to ask for help. Tradition tells us that most people requiring help never made it all the way to the palace to stand before the King.

Leaders in Solomon's organizational structure well below the actual throne would decide upon the majority of benevolence cases. But Solomon, being rich himself, knew the rich and he knew how they operated. Don't take Solomon wrong; I don't believe he is condoning the harsh treatment of the poor. Actually, he has already taught us not to do so.

Back in chapter 14 Solomon said: "You insult your Maker when you exploit the powerless; when you're kind to the poor, you honor God" (v.31). In the next chapter he goes on to say: "If you help the poor, you are lending to the LORD-and He will repay you!" (19:17).

Solomon understood the responsibility we have as believers to use our surplus to be a blessing to others. Solomon was a descendant of Abraham and the Blessing of Abraham evolved around the fact that God was going to bless him and his descendants in order that they might BE a blessing.

Well guess what? You can't BE a blessing if you are not blessed. You can minister out of your surplus if you are in lack. And this is not limited to money. You can't minister to someone's whose marriage is suffering if yours is on the rocks. You can't minister to someone about parenting their children if your mind is overwhelmed with your own. You can't minister peace to someone how is troubled if you don't have any peace within your own heart.

No, Solomon clearly understood that in God we could expect Him to bless us, but once He did, that we have a responsibility to BE a blessing.

What Solomon is really bringing out here is the unfortunate reality that the poor are often in a position where they need to humbly beg for grace and mercy and the rich are often so pious and prideful that they respond harshly.

I wish it were not the case, but we live in a world were we need money to function. Even ministry requires funding. In Ecclesiastes Solomon said: "A feast is made for laughter, and wine makes life merry, but money is the answer for everything" (10:19). Now, we know that money can't literally buy everything and we know that the most important things in life cannot be bought, but Solomon's point is that we live in the earth and in this world we need money. Which is why we don't want to make poor financial decisions. If we do, then we will be the person in the text requesting assistance, instead of the person in the position to give it.

So what does this mean to you ? A few things:
1. Honor God with your finances and manage them well.
2. Once you are blessed, remember your responsibility TO BE a blessing.
3. Never make anyone you are helping feel less than honorable.
4. Never allow yourself to become high-minded because you are blessed; it can be here today and gone tomorrow!
5. Be thankful for all things, remain humble, and seek to help all those you can!

Father, thank You for blessing me TO BE a blessing. I declare, by faith, that I will do all that I can to ensure I walk in the blessing daily. I will honor You with my finances. I will avoid sin and the very appearance of evil. I will resist pride and every temptation to think more highly of myself than I ought to think. I will remain humble, thankful and grateful for all that You enable me to do. I want to be used of You, for Your glory! Use me Father today and every day as a conduit of Your blessing. Use me as the vessel to reach others... as You do I will never make those that You enable me to bless to feel anything less than honorable. It is only by Your grace that I am in a position to help others and I will never forget that! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment