Monday, June 7, 2010

Power of Your Tongue


How Are You Using the Power of Your Tongue?

(Prov 18:21 MSG) Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit-you choose.


This verse flows in the same vein as the last, where we learned that our words definitely have consequences. Here Solomon helps us understand why. We were created in the image and likeness of God the Father (Gen 1:26). God (Elohim) created the world with words. He spoke the universe into existence. God's words had and still have creative ability. To a lesser extent our words do as well. When we speak (especially from a believing heart) powerful things can and will happen. Other translations of this verse plainly state:

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue."

In the New Testament James cuts no corners when explaining the importance of controlling our tongue and using our words wisely. In the opening chapter of his letter James says, "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless" (1:26).

Well, there is no ambiguity there. James clearly believes that controlling the tongue should be of utmost importance to the believer. In the third chapter he said: "A bit in the mouth of a horse controls the whole horse. A small rudder on a huge ship in the hands of a skilled captain sets a course in the face of the strongest winds. A word out of your mouth may seem of no account, but it can accomplish nearly anything-or destroy it! It only takes a spark, remember, to set off a forest fire" (3:3-5).

Just like a rider controls the direction of a large horse with a small bit and a ship's caption dictates the direction of an enormous naval vessel with a small rudder, you and I can control the direction of our lives by taking control of the two ounce piece of flesh behind our teeth. This little tongue has the power to build up or destroy both our lives and the lives of others.

Countless people have been derailed from their destiny because of words like: "You will never amount to anything;" "You are stupid;" "You are just like your daddy;" and "You are fat and ugly!" Make no mistake... words have power. Back in chapter 15 Solomon said, "Kind words heal and help; cutting words wound and maim" (v.4).

So what does this mean to you ? It means that you must take control of your tongue and you must make every effort to use it God's way. When God was preparing His people for an impending battle He had His prophet say the following: "Prepare for battle! Soldiers at attention! Present arms! Advance! Turn your shovels into swords, turn your hoes into spears. Let the weak one throw out his chest and say, "I'm tough, I'm a fighter." (Joel 3:9,10).

Another translation of the latter portion of that text reads: Let the weak say: "I am strong!" This is the way God operates. God calls those things that are not as though they already are (Rom 4:17-21). In creation God looked at darkness and spoke: Light. God looked at chaos and spoke: Order. God looked nothing and spoke: Everything into existence.

God looked at a 75 yr. old barren "nobody" (Abraham) and spoke: A famous and blessed father of many nations. God looked at a scared farmer (Gideon), who was basically operating as a coward and called him a champion! God looked at a teenage shepherd boy (David) and called him King.

That's what God did with His words, what are you doing with yours?

Father, the power of death and life are in my tongue. You have given me the ability to align my thoughts, words, and hope with Your Word and Your expected end for my life. I declare by faith that I will! Just as you looked at darkness and saw light, I look at every dark situation in my life and I see what You would have me to see. I speak what you would have me to speak. I declare what you would have me to decree. I can have what you say I can have. I can do what you say I can do. I am not a failure, I am a success; because You make me successful in everything I put my hands to do. My family is blessed, my children are blessed, my career is blessed, my body is healthy, my mind is at rest, my soul is at peace, and I am ready for this day; because You have made me ready! Lord, Be it unto me, according to Your Word! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment