Friday, June 4, 2010

Words


Your Words have Consequences

(Prov 18:20) You will have to live with the consequences of everything you say.

I have done a great deal of teaching on the importance of our words and over the next two verses we are going to learn more about it. Solomon basically tells us that we will have what we say. If you condition yourself to speak life, then you will experience life. If you condition yourself to speak death, then you will experience death.

Why is that? I believe it has something to do with the fact that we often REPEAT what we really RECEIVE down in our heart. Paul said it this way: "We're not keeping this quiet, not on your life. Just like the psalmist who wrote, "I believed it, so I said it," we say what we believe" (2 Cor 4:13). Did you get that? Whether consciously or subconsciously, we normally say what we internally believe.

No question, our words are very important. The Psalmist said, "I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink" (Ps 45:1). That quote is from a modern translation. The traditional King James Version reads: "My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." In other words, every time you use your tongue you are writing pages to the book of your life. Your words are part of your story. So, if your tongue is writing the book of your life, then what kind of book will it be? Are you speaking yourself into defeat, failure, sickness, and etc? Are you speaking those negative things into the lives of your loved ones (your marriage, your children, you family, etc.)? Remember, your words count. Use them wisely. If I am writing the book of my life, then the book is going to be good. Guess what?

If I'm writing the book, then I am going to make sure that I WIN - every time!

A good example of this is the story of David and Goliath. When David was interviewing to be Goliath's foe he said the following to King Saul: "I've been a shepherd, tending sheep for my father. Whenever a lion or bear came and took a lamb from the flock, I'd go after it, knock it down, and rescue the lamb. If it turned on me, I'd grab it by the throat, wring its neck, and kill it. Lion or bear, it made no difference - I killed it. And I'll do the same to this Philistine pig who is taunting the troops of God-Alive" (1 Sam 34-36).

David said a mouthful with those words. He looked back to look forward. He remembered what God had done for him in the past and he used his past experiences as motivation for his present obstacle.

He was bold; he was confident; he was convinced; and he spoke as one with conviction.

David went on to say, "God, who delivered me from the teeth of the lion and the claws of the bear, will deliver me from this Philistine." To get a better understanding of what David said we must take a look at what he did not say. David did not say, "Well, if it be God's will then he might help me deal with Goliath;" or "I am going to give it my best effort and we will pray that things come out OK;" or "All we can do is hope."

No! David did not say any of these things, but unfortunately these comments (and the like) are common in the Body of Christ today. I am convinced that people do not realize how negative or wishy-washy their words are. Many believers go around speaking negative comments about their life, their relationship with God, their future, and etc. While others, who have overcome the negative stage, get stuck in the wishy-washy stage. In this stage their statements are full of doubt and unbelief. They use words like "maybe" and "hopefully" a lot because they are not convinced about what God wants to do in their lives. Once you are convinced then you can speak with the conviction that David did.

So what does this mean to you ? Simply put, once you are convinced of something in your heart and you have the audacity (faith) to allow it to come out of your lips, then it is only a mater of time before it comes to pass:

Father, I realize that I will have to deal with the consequences - good or bad - of everything that I say. Therefore, I declare, by faith, that I will speak life ONLY! I fill my heart with good things, so that my words will be faith-filled words. I align my speech with Your Word and the more I do, the more I see the manifestation of Your goodness in my life. My words are literally writing out the pages of the book of my life. Therefore, I will make sure I write what I want to happen. If I am writing the book - I WIN! In Jesus' name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment