Friday, June 11, 2010

Don't Trade Your Integrity for Money


Don't Trade Your Integrity for Money

(Prov 19:1 BBE) Better is the poor man whose ways are upright, than the man of wealth whose ways are twisted
Solomon goes back to a common theme of his writings: money management. The Bible actually has more to say about money than it does about hell. Solomon was definitely not against you having money, because he had lots of it, but he was clearly against money having you. Money makes an excellent servant, but a very poor master.

Back in chapter 15 Solomon said, "It is better to have respect for the LORD and have little than to be rich and have trouble" (v.16). Those who don't have much - by way of earthly possessions - but have their relationship with God intact, are better off than those who have earthly wealth, but don't have God. What good is money if it is going to cost you your relationship with God? There is no amount of money in the world worth giving up Jesus for.

In chapter 16 Solomon said, "It is better to have a little, honestly earned, than to have a large income, dishonestly gained" (v.8). At the end of the day this boils down to values. The bottom-line question is: do you value your relationship with God more than you value money? If you violate God's standard in the pursuit of money, then you have made your choice and it will cost you. Is money really worth it if it costs you your relationship with God? In the New Testament Jesus asked the question: "What good is it if someone gains the whole world but loses his soul? Or what can anyone trade for his soul?" (Mat 16:26).

Getting back to our focus text for today, I believe what Solomon was teaching us here is that those who have traded their integrity for a dollar have made a poor choice. Think about it; is money really worth your integrity? Is a quick buck worth your good name? I am sure you are saying to yourself, "Not it isn't," but make no mistake, there are countless people in this world that have compromised their relationship with God in their pursuit of riches and that continue to do so.


So what does this mean to you ? It means that you should never exchange your Godly integrity or your good name for anything. If you maintain your Godly integrity, work hard, give, save, and spend (in that order), you will have a good name and financial stability. Whatever you compromise to get will not be worth it in the long run.

Father, I thank You for laying out Your standard in Your Word. Your Word is the ruler by which I judge every decision. I love you too much and I value Your Word too much to compromise my integrity for a quick buck. I will walk in Godly integrity every day of my life. I will work hard, give, save, and spend - in that order - and I declare, by faith, that I will enjoy financial stability for the long run. I honor Your with my finances. I finance ministry. I become the conduit through which You flow resources to venues that advance Your Kingdom purposes. I am a giver and I am also a receiver. I walk upright and Your blessing flows on me, in me, with me, and for me... every day of my life! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment