Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Maintaining the Proper Attitude





This morning we continue our mini-series entitled "Renewing a Warrior Spirit." Thus far we have mentioned Paul and David. Both did great things for and by God, but neither did it without adversity. Paul was beaten, imprisoned, and dragged from trial to trial. David was hunted, attacked, and driven from cave to cave. The key is that neither gave up and neither got bitter along the way. Bitterness will erode your attitude and annihilate your hope. Both men used every stumbling block as a stepping-stone, and because of it, they came out on top at the end.

Someone once asked J. C. Penny, "What would you say is the secret to your success?" He answered, "Adversity. I've always faced adversity, but it has brought something out of me and made me a success." Now, that is not the answer most people would expect. But Mr. Penny did not see adversity as a bad thing and his attitude helped him become one of the most successful entrepreneurs of his time

If that's what it takes to live a successful life then you and I have got what it takes, because we have an adversary who is persistent in his attempts to kill us, steal from us, and destroy us. That doesn't mean we have to lie down, roll over, play dead, and let him do with us what he will. Satan seeks whomever he "may" devour, but you can tell him: You may NOT devour me!" I like that.

I have not been walking with the Lord that long, but I have had my fair share of faith battles and I have come out the other side with powerful testimonies. I attempt to do all that I can to learn from King David and the Apostle Paul. I walk with God and continue share my story.

Getting back to David and Paul, I can't stress enough the power behind their focus on God's goodness while facing opposition. Even after all David faced he was able to say: "The LORD is my light and my salvation-so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble? When evil people come to devour me, when my enemies and foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though a mighty army surrounds me, my heart will not be afraid. Even if I am attacked, I will remain confident... I am confident I will see the LORD's goodness while I am here in the land of the living" (Ps 27:1-3 & 13). Faith is all about confidence. David was definitely confident in God and his confidence enabled him to walk by faith and not by sight; to look past the problems and to focus on the promises God had made to him. No matter what David faced and no matter how hard things got while he was on the run, he knew he was anointed to be King of Israel and that someway/somehow he was going to eventually grace the throne. His God-given vision kept him going! Paul was the same way. Even after all he had been through he was able to say, "Now thanks be to God, who always causes us to triumph in Christ" (2nd Cor 2:14). Paul could have easily complained, but he CHOSE to see life through the lens of faith. Paul's perspective enabled him to say that God always causes us to triumph in Christ! What a powerful statement!

So what does this mean to you ? It means that you too must be convinced that God wants to do great things in your life. God said, "I alone know the plans I have for you, plans to bring you prosperity and not disaster, plans to bring about the future you hope for" (Jer 29:11 GNB). Do you believe that? If you do, then it will help you maintain the proper attitude, even when facing adversity, oppression, and betrayal.

Warriors simply refuse to quit!

Father, I thank You for rekindling the Warrior Spirit in me. I am fully convinced that You have a bright future in store for me. I focus on Your promises and that focus enables me to look past any problems I may face. My attitude will determine my altitude in You and since my attitude is fixed and focused in faith, I am confident that I will experience Your best. The more the enemy messes with me, the greater Your testimony becomes in my life. If he knew better he would simply leave me alone. But whether he attacks me or not, I am convinced that I will serve You all the days of my life and I will see Your goodness while I am in the land of the living! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment