Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Facing Opposition - Part III




Yesterday we started to take a closer look at Shammah from this passage: "Next in rank was Shammah son of Agee from Harar. One time the Philistines gathered at Lehi and attacked the Israelites in a field full of lentils. The Israelite army fled, but Shammah held his ground in the middle of the field and beat back the Philistines. So the LORD brought about a great victory" (2nd Sam 23:11,12). We have already focused on the fact that "The enemies were Philistines" and that "They gathered together at Lehi." Let's continue to walk through the text:

They came in "Attack Mode": Once again, the Philistines were highly skilled, highly trained, highly motivated and highly dangerous men. They chose their battles wisely and on this occasion they came in "attack mode" against Israel. In a few moments I will discuss the strategy behind the "when" of their attack, but for now let's focus on the "how" and the "what."

The Philistines were notorious for overpowering their enemies with overwhelming force. A modern reference to their Modus Operandi would be what is considered the "Powell Doctrine;" named after General Colin Powell. Under the Powell Doctrine the U.S. military would scrutinize their war plans against a series of questions similar to the following: Do we have a clear attainable objective? Have the risks and costs been fully and frankly analyzed? Is there a plausible exit strategy to avoid endless entanglement? Have the consequences of our action been fully considered? Is the action supported by the American people? Do we have genuine broad international support? Under the Powell Doctrine the U.S. military attempted to go in big (in number), strong (well equipped), and calculated (after proper analysis).

The Philistines were like-minded in their tactics. While they might not have spent a great deal of time building coalitions, they did always come to the fight prepared. So when the text tells us that they "attacked" the Israelites, you can rest assured that they came big, strong, and calculated. It's no wonder why all but one (Shammah) of the Israeli Army fled


They waited until the field was full of lentils: Notice that the Philistines did not come when the Israelites were preparing the fields. No, they did not come when the Israelites were planting the seeds. They did not even come when at the first signs of a harvest. The Philistines waited until it was fully HARVEST TIME - until the fields were full of lentils - before they came in pillage Israel. The timing here is critical. Remember, the Philistines were planners; they did not attack haphazardly. The Philistines came to "take" only when the Israelites had something worth taking! We will continue this tomorrow.


So what does this mean to you ? A few things:

1. Your enemy studies you and he will always come prepared, but that does not mean that you have to succumb to his attacks. Shammah was left all alone, but he (+ God) fought back!

2. The enemy comes in with a lot of bark, but with the blood of Jesus you have more BITE!

3. You + God = a majority; every time!

4. If you are being attacked, then it is evidence that you have something worth attacking.

5. When the attack is the greatest, you must also realize that the harvest is the closest!

6. If you allow the enemy to take your harvest, he will, but if you stand against him and fight the fight of faith, you can maintain your ground and enjoy the fruit of your labor!


Father, I thank You for teaching me the importance of standing my ground in You. I declare, by faith, that I will reap the fruit of my labor. I sow and I also reap. I don't allow the enemy to come in and steal my harvest. Harvest time shall come in my life and when it does, I will pull out the plow shears and bring the harvest in. If the enemy attempts to attack me to take my harvest - my children, my marriage, my career, my finances, my health, or etc. - I declare, in Jesus' name, that I will remain strong in You Father and in the Power of Your Might! I will stand,
resist, push back, and believe; and if I get tired I will stand some more! I refuse buckle, bend, or break. I stand in faith and I reap all that You desire for me to have! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment