Friday, September 10, 2010

Correcting Your Children




(Prov 19:18 CEV) Correct your children before it's too late; if you don't punish them, you are destroying them.

This morning we continue in the book of Proverbs. God never ceases to amaze me. Jehovah knew, before the foundations of the world, that I would be teaching on this verse this morning. On a personal level this Word is very timely. Those of you that are parents know that parenting is not an easy task. While parenting is very rewarding - because you realize the Father has entrusted you with the well-being and developmental responsibilities of other human beings - it can also be a time consuming, emotion stirring, and heart draining experience.

Recently I took a trip to Huston and while I was there I had many "long" conversations with my children. I went to sleep last night knowing that my I am doing part to pour into them all that has been poured into me. And then this morning I had a good laugh when I read the scripture I would be dealing with for Today's Word.

With that in mind let's break down this verse into two parts and look at it from both the CEV and the NLT. The New Living Translation of this verse reads: "Discipline your children while there is hope. Otherwise you will ruin their lives.

Correct your children before it's too late or Discipline your children while there is hope: As parents we train our children to grow UP (in wisdom and stature) and OUT (of the house and into the world). While it is true that our children are our children for life, it is also true that we only have a limited number of years to make a significant impact in their development. While our children are still young and living under our roof we have a golden opportunity to help shape their belief system, educate their conduct, inculcate God's Word into them, and to provide the proper level of correction when they go astray.

I cannot overemphasize the importance of correction - we all need it! Every one of us inevitably gets off course from time to time no one knows this better than I do and without a correction we will stay off course. God expects us, as parents, to provide "course corrections" for our children, so that they stay on His desired path for their lives. Without these "course corrections" they might wind up somewhere we (and God) don't want them to be. As a Christian parent God expects you to correct your children and to do it in love. Back in chapter 13 Solomon said, "Those who don't correct their children hate them. But those who love them are careful to train them" (v.24).

If you don't punish them, you are destroying them or Otherwise you will ruin their lives: In the 22nd chapter Solomon says, "Foolishness abounds in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him" (v.15). Children are not born wise. Wisdom is transferred by association (Prov 13:20) and as parents must do all that we can to place our children in environments where they can glean positive characteristics and to shield them from unrighteous influences. Furthermore, the language the Bible uses puts the onus on us, as parents, to do our part.

Read this again. If "we" don't punish them, then "we" are destroying them. If "we" don't discipline them, then "we" are ruining their lives. This is strong language and it is not mistake. Children are foolish and they will do foolish things, but WE have a responsibility to discipline, correct, instruct, inspire, and lead them out and away from their foolishness. If we fail to do our part as parents, one day we will have to give account for it.

So what does this mean to you? Simply put, it means that you must take the time to parent your children, no matter the cost. In the end your labor will not be in vain!

Father, thank You for giving me the wisdom and insight to provide my children the teaching, training, correction, and discipline they need to develop into the men and women You have called them to be. I love my children too much not to correct them when they go astray. I declare, by faith, that you give me creative ways to reach my children and to pour into them. As I do, I declare that they will be equipped to make good decisions, that they will be prepared them for their life's assignment, and I will be able to stand before You with clean hands. I will not neglect my part in their development! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment