Friday, September 3, 2010

What Type of Leader Are You?




(Prov 19:12 NLT) The king's anger is like a lion's roar, but his favor is like dew on the grass.

Here Solomon contrasts the anger and favor a sitting king. Understanding the king's power, especially in Solomon's time, was extremely important because it was absolute. If the king was unhappy, in general, everyone could suffer. If the king was unhappy with you, in particular, he could have you put to death. There were no checks or balances, no restrictions of power, and no term limits. A king was a supreme ruler of his territory - period. This power could be used positively or negative and in either case the results would be dramatic.

Solomon made a similar comparison back in chapter 16 when he said, "An angry ruler can put you to death. So be wise! Don't make one angry. When a ruler is happy and pleased with you, it's like refreshing rain, and you will live" (14 & 15).

Every leader is NOT going to be humble, loving, caring, compassionate, and peaceful. We will encounter leaders who are irritable, short-tempered, and moody. While dealing with leaders like this is bad enough today, in Solomon's time it was an even bigger issue because they could have you killed. It's dangerous to deal with someone who yields exceptional power without constraint or control. So if you have to deal with one like this, then walk cautiously and carefully, pray BEFORE you deal with them, and also pray FOR them. Remember, at the end of the day, their poison will not stop God's purpose in your life. But if you allow Him, God can use you to bring about a positive change in your environment.

Onthe other side of the token, just like an irritable, short-tempered, and moody leader can bring down the atmosphere that he or she oversees, an upbeat, positive, and pleasant leader can establish a encouraging environment that will benefit all those under their sphere of influence.

A positive leader, with a positive countenance, is like rain in the spring; refreshing and nourishing. Never underestimate the influence you can have as a leader. Whether it's at home (over your family), at work (over your subordinates), or at church (over the LORD's flock), the countenance of the leader will set the environment for the led.

In the corporate world we call this the "Managers Climate." The manager sets the climate for those under his or her department, and if the climate is negative, rest assured the manager will be negative and people will be apprehensive about presenting new ideas, in fear of being 'shot down' (or in Solomon's time, killed).

Once you stifle creativity, it's just a matter of time before your organization's productivity decreases or even comes to a standstill. However, if your climate is positive and you foster an environment where creativity is welcomed and rewarded, you will have an organization that is imaginative, industrious, and ever evolving towards greatness.

So what does this mean to you? It means that you should set the right climate everywhere you go! If you are a leader, you must remember the importance of preparing yourself to lead. Spend time in prayer BEFORE you spend time with your people (at work, home, church, etc.). This way you will be able to stand before them with a smile on your face, a spring in your step, and a song in your heart. If you do, you will help bring them UP to your level. If they see expectation in you, their expectation will be elevated! If they sense excitement in your voice, their excited will be ignited! Don't underestimate the impact that you can make as a leader.

Father, I thank for Blessing me to lead and influence others. I do not take my position lightly. I will spend time with YOU BEFORE I spend time with those I lead. As I spend time with You in prayer You give me insight, revelation, wisdom, and understanding, so I am able to be the exceptional leader You desire for me to be. Furthermore, in my time of prayer, I am able to CAST my care upon You. I give you my CARE and You give me your peace. This way I am able to enter the environment I lead with a smile on my face, a spring in my step, and a song in my heart. My genuine care and concern for my subordinates come across in my words and disposition and my countenance establishes a positive climate every day! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment