Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Live Long




(Prov 19:16 GNB) Keep God's laws and you will live longer; if you ignore them, you will die.

This morning we continue in the book of Proverbs - In this text Solomon goes back to a reoccurring theme of his teachings by contrasting the length of life of those who keep God's laws with those who choose to ignore them. I have actually taught on this topic (long life) before and I was quite surprised when I first researched it. The Bible has a great deal to say about God's desire for us to live long and prosperous lives. The Father desires that we maximize our purpose and potential in the earth. He has plans for us (Jer 29:11) and He is dutiful to do all that He can to help us to fulfill those plans. But since He has made us free morale agents, we have a say in the matter. He wants to operate in our lives, but He seeks our cooperation. If we fail to cooperate with God we hinder Him from giving us His best and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Getting back to the focus of this lesson, in chapter 3 God, through Solomon, said, "My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity" (verses 1,2). That is about as plain as it can be. The Father's teaching, when properly applied, will add length and quality to our lives - period! He went on to say, "Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold... Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor" (verses 13,14, and 16). Long life is in the hand of Lady Wisdom. When we receive, believe, and apply her teaching, we will enjoy the benefits of living long and strong!

In chapter 9 Solomon said, "Respect and obey the LORD! This is the beginning of wisdom. To have understanding, you must know the Holy God. I am Wisdom. If you follow me, you will live a long time" (verses 10,11). What's the insinuation? If you follow Godly wisdom - God's way of doing things - you will live a long time. But what if you don't? Then you obviously will not and it won't be God's fault.

In chapter 10 Solomon went on to say, "If you respect the LORD, you will live longer; if you keep doing wrong, your life will be cut short" (v.27). I am convinced that countless people have cut their lives short because of the foolish decisions they have made. And finally, let's look at the 91st Psalm. I love this Psalm. I call it the Psalm of Protection. The last few verses say, "The LORD says, I will rescue those who love Me. I will protect those who trust in My name. When they call on Me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. I will reward them with a long life and give them My salvation" (Psalm 91:14-16). A long life is a reward for them that trust in the Father; who live their lives by His instruction. Isn't this what we all want?

So what does this mean to you? I hope the message is clear. It means the Father desires for you to live long and strong! However, you have a say in the matter. He has given you His instruction and if you apply it, you will enjoy the benefits of it. But if you don't, if you ignore Him, if you choose to reject His wisdom, then you will have to deal with the consequences. Either way, you will reap what you sow. The choice is yours!

Father, I thank You for this revelation. I make the right choice today. Your Word gives me insight for living and Your Spirit leads me in the way that I should go. I declare, by faith, that I listen and obey. I choose to keep Your commandments. I choose to live in according with Your Word. I receive Your counsel concerning what to eat. I get sufficient rest and sleep. I am quick to forgive and I do not harbor bitterness or hatred in my heart. I love, I pray, I commune with You. I seek to be a blessing to others, I commit my ways to You, and I trust in You to bring to pass Your best in my life. I shall live long strong! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment