Monday, September 27, 2010

Speak the Truth


Speak the Truth and Avoid Sin

(Prov 19:28 CEV) A lying witness makes fun of the court system, and criminals think crime is really delicious.

This morning we continue in the book of Power of Proverbs. As we read and study the scriptures in this book we are walking in the Wisdom of God. Here Solomon describes the devious nature of the ungodly witness, who openly lies in the face of justice, and the sinner who is so committed to sin that he drinks crime like a glass of water. Everyone sins, but these are people who truly enjoy it. They live to sin, to sow discord, to disrupt justice, to cause havoc, and to attempt to make a mockery of God and His standards. But no need to worry, God will see to it that justice is done (Prov 2:8) and that the wicked (along with the righteous) reap what they have sown.

Telling a lie is bad enough, but doing so under oath is even worse. We should speak the truth whether we are under an oath to do so or not, but after taking such an oath - after publically vowing before God to speak the truth - to then lie is to break the oath, disrespect the court, disregard the judicial system, and dishonor God. And the people Solomon is describing are people who know exactly what they are doing. Their sin is calculated and premeditated. While this may seem like a major offence to you and me, modern society seems to have lowered its standards to the point where lying is "no big deal" anymore. But let's be clear, God HAS NOT lowered His standards. The Father expects us to say what we mean and to mean what we say. Whether in a court or in common conversation, under an oath or just hanging out with our friends, our words matter to God and they should matter to us.

Jesus had some pretty strong opinions about lying. First of all, Jesus never lied - not even once - and He expected His followers to be completely honest. In John chapter 8 Jesus had a confrontational conversation with a group of Jews that were coming up against Him. Jesus said, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. Why is my language not clear to you?"

I know that we like to think of the nice, compassionate, and loving Jesus, but Jesus was also bold, strong, and confrontational when He needed to be. He spoke against sin and He rose up against unrighteousness. He did not cut any corners when speaking to this group. He was clear that God was not their Father. He went on to say, "You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies" (John 8:42-44). Wow! Jesus made it plain. The devil is a liar and the father of lies. Lying is satan's native language, so when you speak lies you are lining yourself up with satan, not Jehovah. Is that where you want to be?

So what does this mean to you? A couple of things:

1. You must speak the truth. Say what you mean and mean what you say. If you want your words to matter to God and His angels (when you pray), and to others (as you seek to do business), then they must matter to you. If you build a reputation for being a liar no one will trust you with anything.

2. Take no pleasure in sin. Being a Christian does not mean that you will be sinless, but you definitely should sin-less! Sin should not be pleasant or desirable for you. If you still have a hunger for sin, in some area, then spend time in the Word and fasting and prayer so that your mind can be renewed concerning it and so that the taste of it can be purged from your mouth.

Father, I speak the truth in love. I don't want to be associated with satan in any way. I refuse to allow lies to flow from my lips. Your Word is in me so strong and Your Spirit has so much influence in my life, that I am immediately convicted when I even have the thought of speaking a lie. I respond to the conviction quickly by simply refusing to allow the lie to be spoken. My Word is my bond. My yes means yes and my amen means amen! I take no pleasure in sin. My mind is renewed to think like You think, love like You love, and like what You like. Father, You can use me today because I am fit for Your use! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment