Monday, September 20, 2010

The Fear of the LORD




(Prov 19:23) Fear of the LORD leads to life, bringing security and protection from harm.

This morning we continue in the book of Power of Proverbs. Here Solomon brings up something that is not talked about much today: the Fear of the Lord. If you attend my Life Group you will know that I speak on this subject often.

The type of "fear" Solomon is referring to is not fear in the sense of terror or fright; this is a reverential type of fear. Many want what the "b" clause this verse promises (security and protection) without fulfilling the requirement of the "a" clause (reverential respect). That is exactly the type of world we live in today. People want to get things FROM God without first having a relationship WITH Him. But we should not expect His supernatural protection if we are not first submitted to Him.

We are called to fear the Lord. Once again, not to afraid of Him, but to show Him a reverential and respectful fear. This fear runs the gamut from a mild respect that simply acknowledges God to a deep and powerful respect that seeks to obey Him wholeheartedly. Whether your fear is deep or mild this morning, you must seek to cultivate it if you are to continue to grow in God.

The Contemporary English Version translation of this verse makes the message very clear; it reads: "Showing respect to the LORD brings true life-if you do it, you can relax without fear of danger." That's it in a nutshell! If you want to experience true life, show respect to God, thereby proving to Him that you truly acknowledge Him as LORD of your life. Remember, either He is LORD of all or He is not LORD at all! Show Him the respect He deserves.

Consider Jehovah BEFORE you make any major decisions.
Consider His Word BEFORE you succumb to the temptation of sin. Consider His ways BEFORE you openly violate them. Consider His love BEFORE you operate in hatred. If you do this, if you deliberately choose to show Jehovah the respect He is due as the LORD of Lords, you will experience true life, security, and protection.

This protection comes in many forms. In one respect, when you fear the LORD and You use His Word as the ruler by which you make decisions, your decisions will keep you from many of the dangers others simply get themselves into. In other words, living in accordance with God's Word produces healthy habits and Godly success.

Nevertheless the fear of the Lord does not necessarily guarantee freedom from challenges. I would love to tell you that once you fear the LORD that nothing bad would ever happen to you again. The truth is, however, that bad things still happen to people who love God. In that sense this verse is not a universal promise but a general guideline. In general, when you walk with God and He walks with you all things seem to work together for your good (Rom 8:28) and you experience angelic protection that is supernatural and powerful (Psalm 91).

So what does this mean to you? It means that you must get back to the basics and ensure that you are giving God the respect He rightfully deserves as your God and your LORD. If He is your LORD then it means that His rule, His ways, His law, and His desires take precedence over your own. He is in charge, but He wants you to work with Him to make a difference in the earth. Jehovah does not want you to be some type of puppet. He wants you to make your own decisions, but when you fear Him - giving Him reverential respect - your decisions will be decisions that bring glory and honor to His name!

Father, I acknowledge You as my God and my LORD. I acknowledge no other deity, and I recognize no other gods. You alone are LORD and I declare, right now, that You are the LORD of my life. I give you the reverential respect You deserve by including You in my decision making. As a matter of fact, I honor You so much that I am willing to submit my entire life to You. I give myself over to endure a mind renewing process so that my decisions will line up with Your desires. As I do I know I will live a life that is pleasing to You and You will reward me with security, protection, peace, and long life! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment