Thursday, September 2, 2010

Love and Patience


Love and Patience

(Prov 19:11) A man's wisdom makes him patient. He will be honored if he forgives someone who sins against him.


Here Solomon brings out two key characteristics that can and should be developed in the believer as they grow in the wisdom of God: patience and love. I have taught several series on both topics, because both are key to Christian maturity. The New Living Translation of this verse reads:

"Sensible people control their temper; they earn respect by overlooking wrongs."

What Solomon is alluding to is the fact that they way we treat and deal with others is a direct reflection of our maturity in God or our lack thereof. John really brings this out in his first letter. John wrote:

"If anyone boasts, "I love God," and goes right on hating his brother or sister, thinking nothing of it, he is a liar. If he won't love the person he can see, how can he love the God he can't see? The command we have from Christ is blunt: Loving God includes loving people. You've got to love both" (1st John 4:20,21).

That is about as plain as it can be. We ought not say that we love God if we refuse love others. Jesus Himself said, "Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples--when they see the love you have for each other" (John 13:34,35).

Not only did Jesus command us to love, but He brought out the fact that love is supposed to be our identifying characteristic. The only way the world will truly identify us as followers of Christ is when we operate in His love.

Patience is the other key characteristic. While the presence or absence of love is an indication of whether or not we are Christian, the presence or absence of patience is an indication of our maturity in Christ. James said, "Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance (also translated "patience") has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance (or patience) is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing" (1:2-4).
How can you say you are a mature believer is you throw in the towel of your faith at the first sign of any opposition? Or if you 'fly off the handle' whenever anyone does something you don't like? No, as you grow in Christ you must learn to control your emotions and not allow them to control you. You are not always gong to "feel" a certain way, but as believers we cannot live by how we feel, we must live BY FAITH!

So what does this mean to you? It means that you have been called to develop patience and to walk in love as you seek to mature in Christ. Today many Christians are confused. They think the size of their bank account, or their house, or the type of car they drive are indicators of their Christian maturity. But don't mistake the presence or absence of material things to be a true indication of your maturity in Christ. If you really want to know if you are growing, then check how you treat others. Are you slow to anger? Are you more patient today than you were last year? Do you have more tolerance for the mistakes of others? And are you quick to forgive? Do you treat others the way the Father treats you, by forgiving and NEVER bringing it up again? Love and patience: these are true indicators of Christian maturity, grow in each and you will be growing in Christ!

Father, I thank You for this reminder this morning. I needed it. I am reminded of the importance of love and patience. I need both and I declare, by faith, that I will develop in each. I control my emotions and I refuse to allow my emotions to rule over me. I am slow to anger and quick to forgive. I treat others the way You treat me. I forgive, I move on, and I never bring the transgression up again. Your love, flowing through men, is the identifying characteristic that others are looking for and they WILL see it in me! I am a conduit of Your love in the earth. I walk in peace with all men. I seek to bless and not to curse. I shine as light in the midst of darkness, peace in the midst of chaos, and love in the midst of selfishness. In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment