Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Right Person - The Right Time




(Prov 19:10 CEV) It isn't right for a fool to live in luxury or for a slave to rule in place of a king.

This morning we continue in Proverbs. Two verses ago Solomon said, "To acquire wisdom is to love oneself; people who cherish understanding will prosper." While discussing that verse I brought out the fact that divine wisdom and understanding are available to us, however we must put in the time, energy, and effort to attain it. God is not going to give it to us by osmosis. We must put in the blood, sweat, and tears involved in diligent study so that we can properly reap the rewards of it. This is partly because if we don't we will not adequately esteem what we receive.

Jesus said, "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces" (Mat 7:6). Jesus' point was that if you give something that is precious to someone who does not properly estimate its value, misuse is inevitable. Hence the emphasis on earning your way to success.

This brings me to today's scripture. When I first read it I did not know how to take it. I had to read it from several different translations and then read what the scholars had to say about Solomon's statement before I was able to get anything from it. What really helped me was jumping forward to the 30th chapter, after Solomon is done with his proverbs and Agur, the son of Jakeh, is writing. Agur repeats what Solomon says, but he adds two more things and he calls them "The four things the earth cannot endure." They are:
1) a slave who becomes a king,
2) an overbearing fool who prospers,
3) a bitter woman who finally gets a husband, and
4) a servant girl who supplants her mistress (30:22,23).

What Agur and Solomon are both speaking of is the danger of putting a person in a position that they are not ready for. If you give a fool a million dollars, then he is still a fool with a million dollars. You might have changed his financial status, but you did not change him; and since he is not changed, it will only be a matter of time before he foolishly mismanages the million dollars. Solomon's other example was that of a slave being placed on the throne. In modern terms that would be like making the kid in the mailroom the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Sure, you can give him the position, but it is only a matter of time before he mismanages the company and more than likely the people as well.

Now, you may be thinking, "Wait a minute. What about Solomon's father David? He was appointed king at 17. Or what about Joseph? He went from prisoner to prime minister over night." Yes, you are right. However, both of these examples are of men who God promoted and who had the grace for the assignment. Solomon and Agur are referring to people who are placed in positions that they cannot handle and that they do NOT have the grace for.

So what does this mean to you today? Two things:

1. Do the work: Make sure you are learning all you can at your level so that you will be ready for the next level when it comes. The Father is not going to promote you until you are ready. If He gets you there too soon you can ruin the company and the people. So DO THE WORK!

2. Celebrate diversities without jealousy: You may not have the grace for a certain assignment while the next person does. But remember that they do not have the grace for your assignment. This frees you to be you and it allows you to celebrate others as they maximize their own gifts. There is enough to go around. Don't allow jealousy to rob you of your joy.

Father, I thank You for this revelation. I know that I have a part and You have a part in my progress. I also know that You will not open the door to promotion until I put in the work at my current level. So I declare, by faith, that I will diligently seek to maximize every level so that You can be free to promote me to the next. And while I am going up the ladder of success I will celebrate those who are also progressing. I will not allow jealousy to rob me of my joy. I celebrate the diversities of gifts without jealousy. I do those things that I have a grace for and I celebrate with those who do what I do not have a grace for. It takes us all to make up Your Kingdom! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment