Tuesday, August 18, 2009


Are you Worth the Attack?

(Prov 13:8 AMP) A rich man can buy his way out of threatened death by paying a ransom, but the poor man does not even have to listen to threats [from the envious].

This morning we continue our series. In the last verse Solomon urged us to be honest about our financial state. He made it clear that a wealthy person should not attempt to display an image of poverty, just to avoid the responsibilities God places upon the wealthy.

But what he says here is quite interesting. Solomon – who was extremely rich – explains that the wealthy have to deal with things that the poor do not. For example, the wealthy have to deal with the threat of someone within his or her family being kidnapped for ransom.

In Solomon’s day, and even today, the threat of kidnapping is a real. Watch the news and you will see that in Mexico and in many Central American countries the threat of kidnapping, for ransom, is real and common.

But Solomon’s point is that the kidnapper will normally do their homework. They won’t normally spend the time, energy or effort to kidnap someone who does not have anyone wealthy enough to pay a ransom. What is the point of committing the act if there is not going to be a payday? The perpetrators of this type of crime only pursue targets worthy of a big payoff. Now, you may be thinking, “What does this have to do with me?” Hold on, I will get there.

To draw the gap between Solomon’s words and your world let me share with you a little story that I recently read. The person that wrote toe story said and I am quoting so it may not be 100% accurate word for word. He said

“I grew up Brooklyn and in the 1970s my neighborhood was full of gangs. But by the mid-1980s we were basically down two: the Senior Crash Crew and the Junior Crash Crew. The seniors would get out of high school at 2:20pm and then walk several blocks to the junior high school to pick up the juniors. Both crews would then merge and create a huge mob (about 200/300 strong). The mob would then walk back to their housing projects. They walked through the streets robbing and beating up anyone crazy enough to go close to the crowd.

He goes on to say However, one day I saw a man walk directly through the entire crowd untouched. Not one of the members of the JCC or the SCC bothered him. How did he do that? Why did the crowd leave him alone? Why didn’t anyone from the mob attack him? Because he was a drug addict. Excuse the term, but he was what we called a “crackhead.” Many years later God reminded me of that incident and told me that the reason they did not touch him was because they perceived that he did not have anything worth taking. The mob was smart enough to only attack those worth attacking.”

I know that this is true because I too have experienced something similar to this once. And like this person God basically told me the same thing. And in my care in was in LA and the crowd were much older gang members.

So what does this mean to you ? A couple of things:

1. Satan is after your worth: Whatever God has placed down inside of you is valuable to God’s Kingdom. If the enemy can get frustrate you enough that you will stop believing God for all the things You believe He wants to do in your life, then he can hold your life, your dream, your destiny, and your purpose ransom! If he can get you to throw in the towel, you basically defeat yourself. That’s what he wants you to do, but you must refuse to give up on your purpose and destiny, no matter how hard it gets.

2. You will only be attacked if you have something worth attacking: If the enemy is coming against you, it is evidence that he perceives you have something worth taking. The greater the dream (the value) God has placed down inside of you, the greater the attack. Don’t allow the enemy’s attacks to cause you to quit. Remember, his poison can’t stop your purpose. The only way you can lose is if you quit! Feed your faith, starve your doubts, and you will be able to overcome every attack!

Father, I thank You for making me a valuable asset in and for Your Kingdom. I have God-given purpose down inside of me and no one – neither satan himself or any demonic force – can stop it. When I am attacked it adds fuel to my fire, because I know that I am worth attacking. Instead of getting frustrated and throwing in the towel, every attack of the enemy helps me to steel my resolve even greater. No matter what comes my way I will never give up. No weapon formed against me shall prosper. I persevere with a ‘Forward-ever, Backward-never’ mentality and I maintain joy and peace while I do. In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment