Wednesday, August 5, 2009


A Teachable Spirit

(Prov 13:1 NIV) A wise son heeds his father's instruction, but a mocker does not listen to rebuke.

This morning we continue our series In this verse Solomon contrasts those who heed their father’s (or parent’s) instruction with those refuse to. Solomon calls the people who receive and respond to what their parents have to say “wise.” To those who reject fatherly counsel, he gives the label of a “mocker.” Other translations call this person a “scoffer,” “scorner,” “stubborn,” and “foolish.” Now, remember whom we are receiving this from. This was the wisest man to ever live (outside of Jesus).

Not only that, but the Holy Spirit Himself inspired Solomon to write these words. So, from Godly inspiration and personal experience, Solomon tells us that it would be wise for sons to heed their father’s instruction; it would be beneficial for the child to welcome the correction of the parent.

Why? Because the parent

: 1) loves the child and would never do anything to harm them,
2) has already been where the child is attempting to go and can therefore teach from experience, and
3) has a mandate from God to train up the child in the way of righteousness.

Since both Solomon and David wrote scripture, we have a historical record their teachings. When teaching from Solomon’s writings I like to highlight instances where Solomon either directly quoted or simply repeated something his father said, and there are quite a few. This tells me that Solomon learned from his father.

David learned out in the fields with God. David was educated in the school of hard knocks. He was often isolated from his family and he spent countless hours with his sheep and his God. He developed his relationship with the Lord His Shepherd, as he learned to shepherd his flock. He developed a reliance on God’s strength, as he killed a lion and a bear with his bare hands.

He developed a trust in God’s protection, as he survived the many attempts Saul made on his life. In many ways, David started from nothing (the fields) and made it to the top (the throne). This meant that Solomon did not have to endure what David endured.

Solomon was born a prince. Solomon had the best education. Solomon spent quality time with his father as David developed him and prepared him to eventually take the throne. That’s why I believe Solomon has so much to say about listening to your parents and receiving correction. All children make mistakes, but only those that are willing to be corrected are the ones that can be developed!

Look at any large family and the chances are that you will find one or two children that refused correction (I was one of them). They were the stubborn and foolish Solomon talks about. Since they refused to be teachable, they were never adequately taught, and their lives show the proof of it!

Solomon has said allot about this already and he is not finished. In the upcoming writings he says: “He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored” (13:18); “Only a fool despises a parent's discipline; whoever learns from correction is wise” (15:5); “Know-it-alls don't like being told what to do; they avoid the company of wise men and women” (15:12); “If you reject discipline, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding” (15:32).

So what does this mean to you ? It means that if you desire to maximize your purpose and potential in life, before you die, you must maintain a teachable spirit. If you ever get to the point where you refuse to learn from your earthly parents or heavenly Father, you will not be fit for the Kingdom. God’s rejects the proud, but He gives grace to the humble (1st Peter 5). So be thankful for what you know, but know that you don’t know it all!

Father, I declare, right now, by faith, that I maintain a teachable spirit all the days of my life. The more I know, the more I realize I don’t know it all. So I remain humble before You and before my parents. I respect authority and I refuse to disrespect the authority figures in my life. I honor my parents all the days of my life. I thank You for what You have given me in them and I seek to honor them and honor You, daily, as I endeavor to develop into the person You desire for me to be. Teach me Father, I am willing to learn! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment