Friday, August 7, 2009


Faith-Filled Words!

(Prov 13:3 MSG) Careful words make for a careful life; careless talk may ruin everything.

This morning we continue our series, in this verse Solomon continues to drive home the importance of our words. The Father has gone to great lengths – giving us principles and examples of the ‘power of the tongue’ all throughout the Bible – to ensure that we put careful thought into what we say. From a Biblical perspective, careful words are Faith-Filled words; they are words that line up with God, His Word, His promises and His desire for our lives. Careless words are words that are contrary to what God wants to do in our lives. Let’s take a look at the story of the conception of John the Baptist as an example.

In Luke chapter one we read that the angel Gabriel was sent from God to meet Zechariah. Zechariah was a priest who was on shift, praying in the temple. The angel Gabriel appeared to him and said, “Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John. He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord… he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth. Many of the people of Israel will he bring back to the Lord their God… he will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.” So, it is obvious that Zechariah had been praying for God to bless him with a child.

The Lord answered his prayer. The Father sent an angel to announce to him that, not only were he and his wife going to have a baby, but this baby would bring revival to the land. In today’s terms, its like Gabriel was saying, “You are going to have a son and he will be the next T.D. Jakes!”

You would think that Zechariah would be ecstatic! You would think that he would have started praising God. But no, Zechariah doubted. He said, “How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.” Zechariah was trying to make sense of it. His wife had been barren all her life and she was now old. He was trying to rationalize the situation.

The problem is that God is Spiritual, not sensual. Faith does not make sense. God’s promises must be believed, not figured out. Many believers have worked there way out of the will of God, because of reason, logic and common sense.
Gabriel was not happy. The angel said, “I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their proper time.” Zechariah did not believe what God said, so God shut his mouth. He was not able to speak another word for 9 months.

God is so serious about the words that we speak that Zechariah was forbidden to say anything while his son, John the Baptist, was developing in his wife’s belly. I believe this shielded John from Zechariah speaking words of fear, doubt and unbelief.

Interestingly enough, the same angel appeared to Elizabeth’s (Zechariah’s wife) cousin Mary six months later. Mary spoke Faith-Filled words; saying, “May it be to me as you have said,” and she became pregnant without ever laying with a man!

So what does this mean to you? It means exactly what Solomon said. Careful (Faith-filled) words put you in the position to receive all that God desires for you to have and become all that God desires for you to be. However, careless words (filled with fear, doubt and unbelief) may ruin everything. Be determined to speak Faith-Filled words today!


Father, I declare, right now, by faith, that I align my speech with Your speech. I align my words with Your Word. I speak Faith-Filled words today and every day. I refuse to speak words of fear, doubt or unbelief. I will fill my mouth with words that are pleasing to You. I will not speak against what You desire to do in my life. No matter how big, how awesome, or how amazing Your promises may seem to the natural mind, I shall receive them by faith and align my words with them daily. I speak careful words and I live a careful life! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment