Monday, August 10, 2009


Hard Work

(Prov 13:4 NIrV) People who refuse to work want things and get nothing. But the longings of people who work hard are completely satisfied.

This morning we continue our series In this verse Solomon goes back to another reoccurring theme in his writings: hard work. Solomon is clearly against laziness, because he knows what we should all know; and that is that laziness gets us nowhere.

Have you ever met someone who wants lots of things? I know quite a few who spend a lot of time daydreaming about the person they would like to be some day or the things they would like to have. Daydreaming, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. I believe God wants us to dream big dreams. But just know that it will take time, energy, and lots of effort to see the dreams manifested.

God is not in the business of giving lazy people freebies. If he did He would just be promoting their laziness and giving them motivation to remain in their lethargic state. No! God does not have a welfare plan. He will work with you and bless the work of your hands, but that means you have to give Him something to bless.

The New Living Translation reads: “Lazy people want much but get little, but those who work hard will prosper.” Who do you think gets ahead life? Solomon gives us the answer: those who are willing to work hard. And this pertains to every area of life.

Often, after teaching a Bible Study or preaching, I want to teach, or like you. How do I get started?” I tell them to study and I give them a few references. I may give them a book to read or an assignment to look up. I then ask them to get back with me. Most don’t, but for those that do, I try to help them as much as I can.

It’s an eye-opening experience for many when they realize how much work goes into a teaching. When I teach them about understanding the text, in context, the historical significance, how they must be true to what it meant (back then) before they start making conclusions about what it means (today), and how to draw from parallel texts, they begin to realize that this is hard work.

It has been said that it takes anywhere from 30-40 hours of study for every one hour of reaching. Since it’s God’s will, it’s God’s bill. He gives me the strength, but I have to be willing to put in the work.

So what does this mean to you? It means that you have to work for what you want. Maybe teaching is not your thing. No matter what you desire to do in life, it is possible, but it will require work. If you are lazy, you will never get there!

Father, I thank You for this Word this morning. I speak life over myself and I declare that I overcome laziness by faith. I take control of my mind, emotions and will. I refuse to allow procrastination and slothfulness to keep me from maximizing my potential today, this week, and for the rest of my life. Father, I will work diligently and I ask You to bless the work of my hands. As You bless me to dream big dreams, I declare, by faith, that I will put the work behind the dreams required to see the manifestation of them in my life. I work hard and prosper! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment