Tuesday, August 4, 2009


Called to Righteousness

(Prov 12:28 GNB) Righteousness is the road to life; wickedness is the road to death.

This morning we continue our series in this verse Solomon brings up something that is not mentioned much today: the reality that righteousness puts us on the road to life and wickedness keeps us on the road to death. In our politically correct society, where no one wants to offend anyone, you don’t hear much about sin, death and hell. Hell is a reality and those that refuse to accept Christ are condemned to it. As believers, on our way to heaven, we are called to walk in the newness of life.

Paul explained it well when he said, “Just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous” (Rom 5:18,19).

The two men Paul refers to here are Adam and Jesus. Because of Adam’s sin, death entered and passed to all men. But because of Jesus’ righteousness, life entered and is made available to all those that accept Him as Lord (see Rom 10:9,10,13; John 3:16).

John, the disciple that Jesus loved, made it clear in his writings that Jesus is the only way to eternal life. He said, “The Father loves the Son and has put everything into his hands. Anyone who believes in the Son has eternal life. Anyone who says no to the Son will not have life. God's anger remains on him” (John 3:35,36); “And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life” (1st John 5:11-13).

John wanted to make it clear that those of who accept Jesus have eternal life. He wanted us to “know” that we have eternal life, so that we could live in that reality. Once we know we are Born-Again, it is not the end, but rather the beginning. We are to shine as light and love in the world. We are to walk in purity, righteousness and holiness.

John went on to say: “This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin” (1st John 1 5:7)

I know that teaching on sin is not popular, but God did not call me to a popularity contest. I am teaching through the book of Proverbs (verse by verse) and I refuse to skirt around any issues. Here Solomon tells us of two roads; one leads to life and one leads to death. Be sure to get on (and stay on) the right road.

Paul said, “So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature… The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like… those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God” (Gal 5:16-21).

So what does this mean to you ? Simply put, it means that you are called to walk in righteousness. Your character and conduct must be pleasing to God. Avoid even the appearance of evil (1st Thess 5:22), walk in the life Christ Jesus died to give you, and shine as light in the midst of darkness.

Father, I thank You for sending Your Son Jesus to die so that I could live. I have accepted Him as my Lord, I have been Born-Again, Your Spirit lives in me, and I declare, right now, by faith, that I will live like it. I abstain from even the appearance of evil. I walk in the newness of the life Jesus died to give me. I will not disrespect, dishonor, or discredit the work of the Blood of Jesus in my life. I am believer and I am not ashamed of it. Father, use me to shine in the midst of darkness today, that You may be glorified through me. In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment