Monday, August 3, 2009


Hard Work is Rewarded!

(Prov 12:27 GNB) If you are lazy, you will never get what you are after, but if you work hard, you will get a fortune.

This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon, once again, contrasts the rewards of hard work with the perils of laziness. This is a reoccurring theme in the Bible, both in precept and by example. Let’s look at the two:

In precept: This truth is taught over and over again. A few verses prior to this one Solomon said, “Work hard, and you will be a leader; be lazy, and you will end up a slave” (v.24). If you read a few verses past this one you will find Solomon saying, “People who refuse to work want things and get nothing. But the longings of people who work hard are completely satisfied” (13:4).

Back in the 10th chapter Solomon said, “He becomes poor who works with a lazy hand, but the hand of the diligent brings wealth.” Paul said, “If a man will not work, he shall not eat” (2nd Thes 3:10). Jesus said, “My Father is always working, and so am I” (John 5:17). And believe me, there are many, many more.

By example: If you look at the people God used mightily in scripture you will find something that they ALL have in common, and that is that they worked hard. None of them were lazy. Joseph proved himself in Potiphar’s house and got promoted. His refusal to sleep with his boss’ wife got him thrown in prison. But it did not take long before he was running the prison. A few years later, because of his diligence, he became second in command of the most powerful nation on the planet.

Solomon’s father David was promoted from shepherd boy to Godly King because of his diligence. He worked hard in his father’s house, in seeming obscurity, but the hard work he did in the dark was rewarded in the light. Peter stood out from the other disciples. He was always out front, asking questions, stepping out by faith, bugging Jesus to learn more.

Did Peter make his share of mistakes? Yes. Did he fall into the water? Yes. But he was the only one to get out of the boat and when it came time to select one of the disciples to start the New Testament church it was Peter who was selected.

You may know that Paul wrote half the New Testament, but you may not know what he went through to do it. By his own admission he was a hard worker. Paul said, “I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea… I have been in danger from rivers, bandits, my own countrymen, and from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea… I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep” (2nd Cor 11:23-27).

So what does this mean to you ? It means that becoming a Christian does not give you the right to spend the rest of your life sleeping the presence of God. No! The word diligent (in some form) appears over 60 times in the Bible. If you want to end up where God wants you to be at the end of your life, it is going to take WORK.

If you are lazy you will never get there. So determine today, right now, that you will do whatever the Father needs you to do, to arrive at His desired destination for your life. You are not called to sit, you are called to serve and you serve Him by DOING all that He leads you to DO!

Father, I see how you used diligent and dedicated men and women all throughout the Bible. I read all the admonitions you make against laziness and for hard work. I take Your Word seriously and I apply it to my life. I know that I am not called to sit, I am called to serve and I declare, by faith, that I will serve You all the days of my life. I serve You by putting my hands to DO all that You bless me to DO. I work hard at home, in the office, on the road, with my children, in my marriage, and in every aspect of my life, because I know that You do not bless laziness. I do my part and You do yours! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment