Thursday, August 13, 2009


"In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as he
saw fit." (Judges 21:25).

I dislike this section of Scripture ... No, I hate it! Not because it is wrong. No, it's because it's so right. I think that is why I disdain it! It introduces us to ourselves, and we don't always like what we see.


When I am at work I just I cringe when I get a returned check with an imprint on it that states, "insufficient funds." But you know what I hate more than bounced checks?

Reality checks.


This section of Scripture may be a very real picture of us. We have the same problem of homosexuality, lesbianism, and other forms of immorality and sin ... but instead of rising up against them, we are softening and are beginning to accept it as part of who we are. Whole denominations are putting out statements of acceptance and their ads depict their approval to those who have chosen to openly violate God's commands.

Oh, it doesn't happen all at once. It begins quietly.


Today's slow slide could be seen in this way ... The men beat on the doors and demand homosexual sex. However, another option to those inside, if they didn't want them to sound so insistent, they'd offer a second consideration : "Then what about allowing us to do this with one another. Would you at least endorse that and allow us to be one of the tribes of Israel?" The Israelite from Ephraim would then say, "OK. You can be that way with one another, and we will accept you as one of us."


But that is not how we read it in Judges. Instead, a unthinkable dismembering takes place which horrifies all the Israelites from Dan to Beersheba, and they rise up as one to deal with it.


This is terrible, but as dreadful as it is, here is what would be more terrifying: if they had done nothing and instead, ignored it. Or even more horrifying, if they accepted it and endorsed it.We can throw stones at these barbaric methods, but in doing so, we cannot blind ourselves to what we may be becoming ... where the Bride today sees it as endorsable. And we do not rise as one anymore.


Reality check.

We live in a society that is addicted to "affirmation."

"Just affirm me. Don't tell me you don't like what I do. Just let me do what I want to do. Pay me. Encourage me. Support me. But don't evaluate me ... because if you do, I will say you are judging me and you are a phobic."


The danger of this kind of affirmtion is that we make ourselves immune from correction and we become a law unto ourselves.


"In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as he saw fit."
Maybe it's time for a reality check. Maybe it's long overdue. We do fear what people will say, and for the lack of courage, we blend into the surroundings of what our society is doing. We can start with ourselves. Let's start there. Where we open our hearts to biblical evaluation ... no, not to judgmental critics, but to wise, biblical adjustments along the way so we don't wake up one morning and find how far we have drifted into the deep parts of an ocean of despair.
My stomach churns over this passage. However, I cannot swallow the same thing in my own life.
Not sure what to do, but I am wide awake now.


Father God Giver of wisdom and Guardian of Your Word, please grant me the understanding and the wisdom to make decisions and lead Your people in the right way. I know that I will not always be the most popular guy, but in the end, I want to know that I have walked closely with you and I end up in a list like I find in Hebrews 11 ... even if I don't end up on a list of New York Times Best Sellers or win a popularity contest. May I win your pleasure and your heart. In Jesus name I pray

No comments:

Post a Comment