Thursday, August 6, 2009


Your Lips

(Prov 13:2 KJV) A man shall eat good by the fruit of his mouth: but the soul of the transgressors shall eat violence.

This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon hits another reoccurring theme: the importance of our words. He has already taught us a great deal about this and he continues to do so.

I have already shared with you some of what Jesus, James, David and others have said about it. The fruit of your mouth is your words and they will either produce a good or bad harvest.

In chapter 18 Solomon explained it this way: “From the fruit of their mouths people's stomachs are filled; with the harvest of their lips they are satisfied. The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit” (18:20,21). The power of life and death is in our tongue. This little piece of flesh releases the intent of our soul (mind, emotions and will). What’s in us abundantly comes out of us eventually.

The quality of our words reveals the content of our heart. Jesus explained this well when He said, “The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.” In other words, a good man speaks from the good content in his heart, and his words open the door to life, blessing, peace, harmony, and etc.; they build up and they do not tear down.

However, a wicked man speaks from the wicked content in his heart, and his words produce death, cursing, turmoil, discord, and etc.; they tear down and do not build up. Jesus went on to say: “But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned” (Matthew 12:35-37).

That’s serious business. God is so serious about the words that proceed from our mouths that He tells us that we will some day have to give account for everything we said. Standing before God, our words will be reviewed and judged. But in addition to the importance of the ultimate judgment of our words, which will happen in the future, we must understand the important of our words today.

Our lives will be either satisfied or dissatisfied, today, from what comes out of our mouths. In the last chapter Solomon said, “The wicked are trapped by their own words” (12:13). I already mentioned what Jesus said in Matthew chapter 12 and if that did not paint a serious enough picture, in the 15th chapter He said, “It's not what goes into your mouth that defiles you; you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth” (Matthew 15:11).

So what does this mean to you ? It means that one way or another you WILL have what you say (Mark 11:23). If that is true (and it is), then you must make every effort to speak life and not death, blessing and not cursing, love and not hatred, peace and not worry, harmony and not discord, because your life will be filled from the fruit that comes out of your mouth (your words).

Paul said, “Don't let any evil talk come out of your mouths. Say only what will help to build others up and meet their needs. Then what you say will help those who listen” (Eph 4:29); and if I can add to what Paul said, not only will your Godly words help those who listen, but they will help you as well. When you speak words that edify, uplift and encourage, you literally sow seeds of righteousness, and believe me, you will reap a harvest that will be pleasing to you and all those around you!

Father, Your Word is clear. I know I will eat from the fruit that proceeds from my mouth. I will either be satisfied or dissatisfied, because of my words. Therefore, I declare, by faith, that I take authority over my mind. I bring every thought into captivity. I reign in the thoughts that are not pleasing to you. I check the input I receive – through my ear and eye gates – so that my heart is filled with the right things. Once my heart is filled with Godly input and my thoughts are under control, my words will ONLY be words that are pleasing in Your sight; words that build up and never tear down. Since I will eventually have what I say, I will only say things that are a blessing to You, Father, and to others! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment