Wednesday, August 12, 2009


Protection for the Righteous

(Prov 13:6 TNIV) Righteousness guards the person of integrity, but wickedness overthrows the sinner.

This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon contrasts the protection the believer enjoys with the vulnerability the sinner is eventually exposed to. I see the protection Solomon addresses here in two ways.

Firstly, I believe that when you walk righteousness (or godliness), you shield yourself from all sorts of evil. When you walk in Godly counsel it keeps you from opening the wrong doors. The New Living Translation of this verse reads: “Godliness guards the path of the blameless, but the evil are misled by sin.”

Godliness is actually being “like God.” Learning to love what He loves, hate what He hates, operate as He operates, forgive as He has forgiven us, show mercy, compassion, grace, and etc. When you learn to live the life God desires for you to live, you will not be misled by the mistakes sinners expose themselves to every day. While this will not happen overnight, godliness can be developed and it does pay big dividends.

Paul said, “Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come” (1st Timothy 4:8). Developing in godliness will pay off now (in time) and later (in eternity). Walking in godliness keeps you from the pitfalls that wreck so many lives. The integrity of the believer keeps him shielded from sowing the wrong seed and therefore reaping the wrong harvest.

Secondly, when you walk in righteousness God protects you. Solomon father David said, “God's way is perfect. All the LORD's promises prove true. He is a shield for all who look to Him for protection” (2nd Samuel 22:31). It would take me much more than a few minutes to describe to you the many times the Lord has protected me.

The Bible is chock-full of scriptures that promise protection. Let me share with you some of what Psalm 91 (the Psalm of Protection) says. The psalmist tells us that if we abide under the shadow of God (v.1) that the Lord will keep us safe from secret traps and deadly diseases (v.3). He spread His wings over us to keep us secure. His faithfulness over us will be like a shield or a city wall (v.4). We won’t need to worry about dangers at night or during the day. Nor will we have to fear diseases that strike in the dark or sudden disaster at noon. Though thousands may fall around us, we will not be harmed (vv.5-7). Only with our eyes will we see the punishment of the wicked (v.8). The Most High God will be our fortress and we will run to Him safety (v.9). No terrible disasters will strike us, nor our homes, because God will command His angels to protect us wherever we go (vv.10,11). The angels will carry us in their arms and won't allow us to be hurt (v.12). Because we love the Lord, He will rescue us and keep us safe (v.14). When we are in trouble, we can call out to Him. He will hear us, answer us, and be there to protect us (v.15). He will satisfy us with a long life and we will see His saving power (v.16).

If that does not get your blood pumping I don’t know what will! The 91st Psalm is so powerful and that is my all time favorite scripture, It gave me peace through the most difficult times in my life.


So what does this mean to you? It means that have a choice. You can either walk in righteousness (developing godliness) and enjoy the protection the Father wants you to enjoy, or you can walk in sin and expose yourself to the dangers of walking without God’s protection.

Father, I thank You for setting before me life and death, blessing and cursing, and then telling me which to choose. I choose life and blessing. I choose to develop in godliness. I choose to walk in righteousness. And as I do, I enjoy the protection that comes from my own integrity and Your divine power. Angels, walk with me today. Keep me from harm. Protect me and my family as we seek to do all that the Father would have us to do. Thank You Father for your protection, power and peace! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment