Thursday, November 19, 2009

Common Sense




(Prov 15:14 NLT) A wise person is hungry for knowledge, while the fool feeds on trash.

This morning we continue our series, in this verse Solomon helps us understand part of the reason why the wise and the foolish are they way they are. Neither the wise, nor the foolish, arrived at their state over night. For the wise to become wise he must have first developed a hunger and thirst for knowledge. It is this hunger for learning that helped him become wise. The fool, on the other hand, perpetuates his foolishness by feeding on things that are not conducive to growth.

We have all heard the saying, “You are what you eat,” and when it comes to what you feed your mind that is certainly true. What’s in you abundantly will come out of you eventually; it’s inevitable. You will eventually become what you continually behold.

Here he is emphasizing the heart rather than the head of man. He is not talking so much about the accumulating of certain facts but about spiritual discernment or, as someone has put it… sanctified common sense.

As a believer, when we continually feed on God’s Word and we get His truth in our heart, we develop a sanctified common sense that enables us to apply Godly principles to every day situations. But we all know that it does not happen overnight. Development is a process. With that in mind, let me share with you something from Dr. John Maxwell. I call it the process from Ignorance to Competence:

Phase 1: You don’t know what you don’t know. None of us are born knowing. As leaders, we cannot give what we do not have, lead where we have not been, or teach what we do not know. At this stage, not only is our ignorance hurting us, but also hurting all those that we could possibly minister to. But wait… there is hope! God has called us to His work and it is a life-long process. Growth occurs daily, but not in a day.

Phase 2: You know what you don’t know. At this point you have been made aware of your shortcomings. This is the stage where you have to make a choice to either stay ignorant or to make the effort to learn. This is what separates the wise from the foolish in the text. Not everyone turns the corner from ignorance to competence, but it is my prayer that you do and that you develop a hunger and thirst for the things of God.

Phase 3: You know and you grow and it starts to show. At this point your learning is turning into living. You are applying what you have learned and it is making an impact in your life and in the lives of others. This is where you become more active, more productive, and it all requires less effort because you are more effective and efficient. People around you begin to notice the growth and are inspired to do the same. At this point you are becoming light and salt in the world!

Phase 4: You simply go because you know. This is where we can have what I call “Sweatless victory!” By this stage God can freely minister to others through you. Things become second nature to you as you learn to rely on the Holy Spirit for daily ministry. You come to truly walk with God and He with you. This is the goal… this should be our target!

So what does this mean to you today? I believe I’ve already told you, but I will close with something Solomon went on to say in chapter 18. He said, “Wise men and women are always learning, always listening for fresh insights” (18:15). Become the wise man/woman the Father desires for you to be. Develop a hunger for the things of God!

Father, thank You for creating a desire in me for growth and development. I refuse to feed on trash. I fill my heart and my head with good things. I put Your Word down inside of me, to the point where I develop sanctified common sense. I want to be a Phase 4 believer. Help me Father to get to the point where I can simply go, because I know! Develop me so that You can use me for Your glory! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment