Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Receiving Counsel and Correction





(Prov 15:12 NLT) Mockers hate to be corrected, so they stay away from the wise.

This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon goes back to another reoccurring theme in Proverbs and that is that we must be always open to correction. If we are honest with ourselves we will admit that it is only because of pride that we often avoid correction. But if we want to truly develop in the mature and impacting believers the Father desires for us to be, we must be willing to seek, receive, and apply the Godly corrective criticism that comes from those who walk in His wisdom. As a matter of fact, we should seek it out.

I will use myself as an example. From time to time, when I meet someone who is already operating at a level, in a certain area of life, that I am still striving to attain, I seek that person out for counsel and feedback. I may schedule a lunch with the person or a meeting in, but I am upfront about the fact that I want to learn from them. I pray before the meeting, I ask God to give me pertinent and thought-provoking questions, and I also remind myself that I was the one who asked for the meeting. It would be foolish of me to setup a meeting and then refuse to remain humble enough to receive the wisdom I asked for. Receiving counsel is on one level, but receiving feedback (external evaluation and correction) is on an entirely different level.

Most people can receive advice, but I have found it to be true that only those who are truly humble are able to receive correction. No one likes to be told they are wrong, but if we want to grow we should seek the feedback of those who both have the wisdom to give us sound advice and the courage to tell us the truth!

Our society has become so accustomed to euphemistic banter that people are not accustomed to hearing the truth about themselves and most don’t seek it out. Solomon tells us that mockers hate to be corrected so much that they avoid the wise altogether. This person refuses to setup private meetings where they can receive wise counsel one-on-one. They even avoid public places where the wise share their wisdom with the masses. When it comes down to it, people that live this way know that they have flaws, but they just don’t want anyone to point them out. They would rather go to those who will only tell them what they want to hear.

Back in the 9th chapter Solomon warned the wise about people like this. He said,

If you correct conceited people, you will only be insulted. If you reprimand evil people, you will only get hurt. Never correct conceited people; they will hate you for it. But if you correct the wise, they will respect you. Anything you say to the wise will make them wiser. Whatever you tell the righteous will add to their knowledge” (9:7-9).
Not only will the pride-filled person not receive correction, but they will also hate the one who attempts to give it to him. The problem is that their internal policy is self-defeating and it will definitely stagnate their growth.

So what does this mean to you? A few things:

1. Remain humble:
The quickest way up in God is down and the quickest way down in God is up.

2. Remain teachable: You know you don’t know it all, so be ever willing and ready to receive wisdom from those that already are where you desire to be.

3. Seek counsel and feedback: Don’t just seek counsel, but seek honest corrective criticism. Find someone who loves you enough to tell you the truth and then receive it when they do.

Father, thank You for reminding me to remain humble. I know I don’t know it all and I won’t act as if I do. I am thankful for the investment You have made in me directly and through others. I pray that You continue to make deposits in me and I will seek the counsel and feedback of those that You lead me to. As You do, I declare, by faith, that I will receive what they have to say. My desire for growth and development outweighs my feelings. Help me Father to receive correction without getting offended, so that I can become the person You desire for me to be. In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment