Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sticks and Stones





(Prov 15:4 MSG) Kind words heal and help; cutting words wound and maim.

This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon gets back to the importance of our words and he focuses in on the effect that they can have on others. The Bible reads: “A peaceable tongue is a tree of life: but that which is immoderate, shall crush the spirit.” Do you want your tongue to be a tree of life (that feeds others and builds them up) or a destructive tool used to crush the spirit of others?

I am sure we have all heard the childhood cliché, “Sticks and stones may break by bones, but words will never hurt me.” That phrase may have worked on the playground, but it does not work in real life. Words not only hurt, but they have the power to literally derail others from their destiny.

Jeremiah said, “I alone know the plans I have for you, plans to bring you prosperity and not disaster, plans to bring about the future you hope for” (29:11 GNB). David thought about God's plans for his life and said, “How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them!” (Ps 139:17).

Jeremiah and David help us understand the greatness of God’s plans and thoughts for us and towards us. Many of us can remember our childhood plans and dreams. But the sad reality is that many childhood dreams – dreams of becoming a lawyer, doctor, business owner, successful athlete, minister or etc. – have been crushed by the cutting words of others.

So what does this mean to you ? Two things:

1. Think about you: Maybe you experienced words that wounded and maimed. Maybe you have allowed your dreams and aspirations to die. Maybe you have allowed your surroundings to seemingly disqualify you from your destiny. If that is you this morning, the good news is that you are still alive. The fact that you are still breathing and blood is still flowing through your veins is evidence that God is not through with you. Jeremiah and David teach us this morning about God’s plans and thoughts towards us. Agree with God’s plans. Confess God’s Word. Receive God’s opinion of you and you will see hopeless situations turn around in your life.

2. Think about others: I pray you have learned from our text never to use cutting words that wound and maim. Dale Carnegie said, “Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime.” Remember that when you speak to your spouse, children, friends, or anyone for that matter. Words are powerful.

Father, I know that You have put the power of death and life in my tongue. You have given me the power to heal and help or wound and maim. I choose to use my tongue as a tree of life. I will build up and never tear down. I agree with Your plans and Your thoughts for my life. I am redeemed from every negative word ever spoken over me and I walk in the newness of the life You have given me through Christ Jesus. Forward ever, backward never! The best is yet to come! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment