Monday, November 30, 2009

Purpose-Driven Life


(John 4:4 KJV) And he must needs go through Samaria.

This morning we will take a break from our current series on Proverbs to share a special message about purpose. Today I want to share a message that is based on the life of the Paul and I said, “One of the keys to Paul’s success was the fact that he was purpose-driven.”
Paul decided to put God’s purpose above his pleasure and because of it he was able to make an impact that is still being felt today.

Jesus was the ultimate example of someone who was purpose-driven. He always adjusted His agenda to whatever the Father needed Him to do for the day. In John chapter four we see Jesus’ ministry picking up steam to the point where His ministry team was baptizing more disciples than John. The religious leadership of the time (Pharisees) were not happy about Jesus’ progress.

When Jesus heard about their displeasure He was led to leave Judea and return home to Galilee. Our text tells us that Jesus felt compelled to go through Samaria. This is very interesting because going through Samaria was not the only route and it was definitely not the preferred route for Jews.

Jews would rather take a route that took three days longer, that went through Perea, crossing the Jordan twice, just to avoid Samaria. The Samaritans were considered a mixed-breed of people – former Northern Israelites who mingled with the Assyrians – and Jews avoided them like the plague. What can we learn from this?

1. There is Purpose in where we are: Jesus was in Judea preaching, teaching, and baptizing. While there He also had a divine appointment with Nicademus and He ministered to the multitudes (more than John). At the point of our text it was God’s time for Jesus to move on. This tells us that we are not where we are by mistake. For the past 11+ months I have been helping with the care of my In Laws I know it has been for a reason. You are where you are on purpose. There will come a time where the Father will allow you to move on, but you must first complete the assignment where you are! My questions for you this morning are: Are you being productive? Are you seeking to do the will of God? Are you fulfilling the purpose in where you are?

2. There is Purpose in where we are going: The Bible says that Jesus was going back to Galilee. As soon as He got there, He healed a blind, lame, and paralyzed man. God had a divine appointment waiting on Him. This tells me that our life is full of purpose. Once we have completed our assignment in one place, the Father sends us somewhere else that is equally full of His purpose. You can rest assured that the Father has purpose wrapped up in every place He allows you to go. Your job is to find out what it is and COMPLETE it before you leave.

3. There is Purpose in How we are going to get there: This was not the normal route. Jesus broke Jewish tradition by going the way that He did because God had a divine appointment for Him with a Samaritan woman at a well. This woman would become an evangelist and spread the gospel of Jesus throughout Samaria. God had purpose wrapped up in the route. You may know that God is taking you somewhere and you may be looking forward to arriving at your new destination (physical or spiritual). But don’t forget that the journey will be full of purpose as well.

So what does this mean to you ? It means that you should always be willing to adjust your personal desires for God’s purpose. Thank God for where you are. Thank God for where you are going. Thank God for how you are going to get there!

Father, I thank You for blessing me to be purpose-driven in all that I do. You reveal to me the purpose behind where I am and as You do, I seek to fulfill that purpose fully. You reveal to me the purpose behind where I am going and I am Godly excited about all the things You will bless me to experience when I get there. And Father, You also reveal to me the purpose in how I am going to get there. Not only will I arrive at my new destination, but I will enjoy the ride. Life is a gift for me, because I live it on purpose every day and in every way. I am ready for every divine appointment You setup for me today and this week! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment