Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Lord Detests Sin




(Prov 15:8 NLT) The LORD detests the sacrifice of the wicked, but He delights in the prayers of the upright.

This morning we continue our series In this verse Solomon tells us something that most of us don’t like to hear. Solomon addresses God’s position on sin. While Jehovah loves the sinner, He clearly hates the sin and He refuses to overlook it. Our God will not bless mess! He will withhold His blessing from those who live in sin and reject His salvation.

In our text today Solomon tells us that Jehovah won’t even accept the sacrifice (or the worship) of the sinner. You may be thinking, “But, are you telling me that God will not accept the sound of the songs of those that sing out to Him?” Correct! If those songs are being sung by people who have not accepted Him as Lord.

God is not interested in your worship if He does not have your heart! What good is outer worship if there is no inner relationship?
The Father does not need your worship, your money, or your lip service, but He does desire a true and intimate relationship with you. If He has that, He will never reject your worship. This is yet another principle that Solomon’s probably learned from his father. David said,

“My sacrifice is a humble spirit, O God; you will not reject a humble and repentant heart” (Ps 51:17).

Let me reiterate the fact that God hates sin. Back in chapter six Solomon said, “Here are six things GOD hates, and one more that he loathes with a passion.” Solomon went on to tell us that they are: a proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked imaginations, feet that are swift in running to mischief, a false witness that speaks lies, and he that sows discord among the brethren. While this is not an all-encompassing list, it does give us an idea of the things the Lord despises.

At the end of the day, the bottom line is that God despises sin and He is not interested in receiving anything FROM us until He literally HAS us (our heart).

Let me give you an example. In Amos chapter five the people of Israel had gotten to the point where they were no longer walking with God. They disregarded Him in their daily lives and the Lord was not pleased at all. The chapter opens up with these words: “Hear this word, O house of Israel, this lament I take up concerning you.” The Father was lamenting over them. He yearned to get them back. He wanted to see true repentance. He loved them dearly. But the point of Solomon’s message today is clearly seen as God loved Israel, but He refused to overlook their sin.

Their sin was a reproach before God. It irritated God that the Israelites attempted to worship Him with their lips, while their hearts were far from Him. This led God to say, “I hate all your show and pretense—the hypocrisy of your religious festivals and solemn assemblies. I will not accept your burnt offerings and grain offerings. I won't even notice all your choice peace offerings. Away with your noisy hymns of praise! I will not listen to the music of your harps. Instead, I want to see a mighty flood of justice, an endless river of righteous living” (verses 21-24). Wow! That says it all!

So what does this mean to you? Two things:

1. God will not overlook your sin: If you are in sin this morning, please take this opportunity to repent, to confess your sin, and to receive forgiveness and restoration (see 1st John 1:9). You don’t want to offer God hypocritical worship.

2. God will not overlook the sin of others: So, it is imperative that you share this truth with them. Share the love of God with others today to that they can come into relationship with Him!

Father, thank You for reminding me how serious You are about sin. I refuse to allow sin to cause my worship to be a stench in your nostrils. I repent of all sin, I come to You with a broken and contrite heart, I acknowledge Your Son Jesus as the Lord of my life, and I seek to worship You with my heart and my lips. Since my relationship with You is intact I know that You will always hear my prayers. Thank You for inclining Your ear to hear me when I pray and worship; and for walking with me today! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment