Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving




(1st Thes 5:16-18 NIV) Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.


This morning we take a pause from our current series, from the book of Proverbs, so that can slow down long enough to say, "Thank You" to God. Tomorrow is the day that is formally known as "Thanksgiving" in the United States. I will send out my 'Thanksgiving Message' today and I won't send out a message tomorrow.

This year has truly been awesome for me. I can say with a clear conscious and a clean heart that this year has been one of the best of my life. Why? Because the Father had many assignments for me and I am truly thankful that I can say that I have completed them. As a believer there is a tremendous satisfaction that we get when we know we have done what the Father has purposed for us to do. It is as if we can hear Him stand over us and say, "Well done."

So while I routinely thank God privately, I want to take this moment to thank Him publically for giving me an awesome life-assignment and for working with me - failures, flaws, and all - as I endeavor to walk out all that He has put in me. See, to me, this is what Thanksgiving is all about. It's about looking back long enough to see things that we need to look up and say, "Thank You" for.

Yes, I know that many consider Thanksgiving to be about turkey and stuffing, pumpkin, football and snow, fireplaces and family, and about eating too much and resting too little. I will admit that I enjoy all of those things. But thanksgiving is bigger than all of that.

Thanksgiving is an attitude. Thanksgiving is a lifestyle. Every day should be a day of Thanksgiving!

In Paul's first letter to the church in Thessalonica he taught about living a life that is pleasing to God. In his closing remarks he said, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." What was Paul saying? What was He teaching us? I believe Paul was telling us that the secret to living a life that is pleasing to God is to maintain your joy, to keep an active prayer life, and to GIVE THANKS to God IN all circumstances.

Notice that he said "IN" all circumstances and not "FOR" all circumstances. If we are honest we must acknowledge the fact that everything that happens to us is NOT good and we DON'T always like everything we face. But Paul's point is that we should trust God enough to believe that at the-end-of-the-day we will still come out on top.

I may not always be able to Thank Him FOR IT, but I can still thank Him IN IT. This attitude of gratitude is what enables me to live a life of Thanksgiving and I pray that you tap into the same thing!

So what does this mean ro you? It means that as you walk with God you will not always get what you expect and you may not always get what you want, but you should have enough confidence in Him to know that when it is all said and done you will not be disappointed. This reality, this confidence, this inner-knowing, is what enables you to live a lifestyle of Thanksgiving!

Look back and be thankful. Look forward and be excited. You serve a God that has blessed you, is blessing you, and will bless you. You have lots to be thankful for. So as you eat too much and rest too little, as you enjoy football and family, and as you devour that turkey and stuffing, take the time to thank God tomorrow and every day.

Develop a lifestyle of Thanksgiving! Give thanks IN all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus!
Father, I may not always like my circumstances. I may not even be able to thank You FOR my circumstances, but I declare that I will thank You IN them. I know that when it is all said and done, the situations I face will work out for my good, so instead of waiting until I see it to say it, I praise You now! I am excited NOW! I am expectant NOW! I am THANKFUL NOW! I look back and I am grateful. I look forward and I am excited. I live everyday as a day of Thanksgiving! From this day forward Thanksgiving is part of my lifestyle! In Jesus' name, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment