Tuesday, November 24, 2009

One Meal at a Time




(Prov 15:17 CEV) A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred.

This morning we continue our series” In the last verse the richest man in the world (in his time) told us that it is better not to have much, but to have God, than to be rich without Him! Considering the source, that was a significant statement. This verse flows in the same vein. I am sure that Solomon was accustomed to the best foods. He was a sitting king, so whenever he hosted other heads-of-state or even his friends, I am sure that an elaborate meal was prepared with the best foods and by the best chef’s in the land.

I love cooking so the Food Network is constantly on in my house. I look at some of the meals prepared by the world’s best chefs and I am amazed by the detail, effort, and skill required to prepare them. I am sure Solomon’s chef’s could have been on the Food Network of his time. He was served daily by the best of the best. But Solomon’s point is that the food means nothing if the person you are eating with is unpleasant and has a genuine dislike for you.

Meals are much, much better when served and enjoyed in love!


While I was born in the United States, I consider myself American, I grew up in Hawaii and Hawaiian people are festive people. I was always looking for an excuse to throw a party. I have very fond memories of my childhood and I continue to create great memories every time I visit my family today. We get together, we eat good food, we laugh and joke, and we genuinely have a good time.

Why? Because we love one another.

This past March I visited my family in the Islands several of my family members came over with their children. Kids were talking and playing, we had plenty of food, and we laughed and told stories for hours. While I am sharing this with you I have a smile on my face. Why?

Because we love one another and that is Solomon’s point.


It is interesting to me that I would get to this text on this day. I never really know what I am going to share when, because I am going verse-by-verse, day-by-day. But ‘it just so happens’ that we ran across this verse on the week of Thanksgiving. In a couple of days our focus will be on turkey, dressing, gravy (Lord have mercy), and sweet potato or pumpkin pie. Now, what good is it to have a feast if you are not around people you enjoy? While I do pray that you will have turkey, dressing, and etc., I believe it is even more important that you enjoy your Thanksgiving meal – and every meal for that matter – with people you love.

I really wish that I could have gone home to spend Thanksgiving with my immediate family. However that is not the case this year so I will spend it with the next best thing my husband’s family.

When I think back to my childhood I think of the many fond memories I created while around my loved ones. While I know that the food was good, because my mother is an awesome cook, I can honestly tell you that I seldom remember the food. What I remember is the love and I am convinced that the love I experienced back then, during meals, has shaped the way I enjoy meals today. Even here in California , the food is good, but quite honestly, it’s gets old. But I have had many wonderful meals here; not because of the food, but because of the love I have shared with those at the table.

So what does this mean to you ? It means that what you eat is not as important as who you eat it with. Please remember that as you prepare for your upcoming Thanksgiving meal.

Father, I thank You for blessing me to have genuine fellowship during this upcoming Thanksgiving meal and for every meal. There is something special that happens when I share a meal with someone I love and truly enjoy spending time with. I know that Jesus came so that I would have eternal life, but He also came so that I could enjoy the life that I have. With that in mind, I declare that I surround myself with genuine people and I enjoy every meal shared in love. I give and receive love as I break bread with others. Thank You Father for blessing me to truly enjoy life… one meal at a time! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment