Friday, March 6, 2009

Taking the Righteous Road


Paulette Fraticelli
March 6, 2009

(Prov 8:20,21 NIrV) I walk in ways that are honest. I take paths that are right. I leave riches to those who love me. I give them more than they have room for.

In our last message we learned how we can seek God for true success; success that is attained through righteous means and therefore, comes without string-attached. When you become successful God's way you are able to maintain a clear conscience a free heart, and a peaceful soul.This message flows in that same vein. Lady Wisdom continues to speak here and she tells us that her ways are honest and her path is right. The Message Bible translation calls her path, "Righteous Road." There was a time when a man's word was his bond, when a handshake was a binding contract, and when people said what they meant and they meant what they said.

This was the way my mothers and father were raised and it was the way they raised me. They taught me things like: the value of maintaining a good name, the honor in hard work, and the importance of doing things right. Yes, I used the word, "right," and it is the same word used in our text.

My mother was not afraid tell me what was right and what was wrong and still does. It was not long ago that cursing was wrong, that foul language could not be played on the radio or broad casted on television; that it was wrong for two men or two women to be together, much less be married; that it was wrong to take possession of a good or service (loan), but then fail to pay it (bankruptcy), causing a loss to the person that trusted you; that it was wrong to lie, even if that lie would help you get ahead; and the list could go on.

We live in a time where political correctness and a fear of offending anyone has caused us to avoid absolutes altogether. But Solomon is not mincing words here and neither did my mother. She was clear that some things are right and some things are wrong.If you choose to live you life in accordance with God's Word, if you choose to walk down Righteous Road, then it will mean that you will have to take a stand, from time to time, for what you believe in. But don't allow this to discourage you; our text makes it clear that there is a reward in store for those that choose to live upright before God.

Lady Wisdom says that she leaves riches to those that love her, those that choose to receive/apply what she teaches. The riches referred to here do not exclude money, but they are certainly not limited to it. The reason God wants you to walk upright, to become the person He wants you to be, to maximize your potential in life, is so that he can bless your children and your children's children because of you (see Prov 13:22). He wants you to leave an inheritance of righteousness to your seed.


So what does this mean? A few things:
1. If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.

2. Your life is about more than just you.

3. When God invests in you He is also investing in the legacy you will leave behind.

4. The decisions you make today can affect your children and your children's children.

5. What you compromise to gain you will have to compromise to keep.

6. Success God's way comes with no string-attached!


Father, I thank You for teaching me what is right and what is wrong. I declare, by faith, that I cleave to that which is right and I resist all that is wrong. I don't seek unrighteous success or pursue ill-gotten gain. I walk upright before You, I call right "right" and wrong "wrong," and I do not compromise my values to get ahead. I know that my life is bigger just than me. The decisions I make today can have a lasting affect on my children and my children's children. Therefore, I declare that I will take Righteous Road all the days of my life. As I walk down Righteous Road I know that I can do so with a clear conscience, a free heart and a peaceful soul! Help me Lord, to live that life that You desire for me to live. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment