Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tainted Wealth




Tainted Wealth
Paulette Fraticelli

(Prov 10:2 NLT) Tainted wealth has no lasting value, but right living can save your life.

This morning we continue Walking in the Wisdom of God with our antithetic (a parallel arrangement of contrasting ideas) proverbs. Here Solomon contrasts the lives of those that seek wealth through unrighteous means and those that seek to live upright.

Honestly, when I wrote yesterday's message I had not read this verse and it is interesting how clearly they flow together. I shared with you yesterday how many of my childhood friends decided to go the drug-dealer route. What I did not tell you was how their lives turned out. I won't mention names, but it is sad for me to think about the group of friends that grew up with me. We were about as average as you can get for a group of kids growing up on the little island of Maui.

Almost overnight people that had never had any money were making thousands upon thousands of dollars selling cocaine, LSD, PCP, speed and pot and the list goes on an on. I knew people (actually dated one) that had hundreds of thousands of dollars - in $20 bills - in shopping bags in their closets. The amount of money became a risk to their families, a strong lure to young boys and girls, and a false sense of security to those that made it. As I think back I know that it was only by the prayers of my mother and the grace of God that I did not fall into that trap. I was at the time raising 2 children by myself and I was a mess financially so it was very tempting) However, most of my friends did and they are either dead, in jail, or recovering drug addicts now.

Of all the people that I personally knew that made inordinate amounts of money selling drugs - and there were many - I can honestly say that I do not know of any (not even ONE) that still has the money and that sincerely benefited from it. For most of them, the money ruined their lives; it caused rifts between family members, it promoted riotous living, and it was spent like water. It came fast; it went fast, and caused nothing but destruction along the way.


Now, please don't misunderstand what I am saying. Money, in and of itself, is not bad. Money makes an excellent servant, but a poor master. Most of the people in my family worked hard, started businesses and have done well. Most of my family is financially secure however, my family and they got there by working 12(+) hours a day, six (and even sometimes seven) days a week. There is a clear difference between what they did and what my friends chose to do by pursuing tainted wealth. I am glad that I chose the 'hard work' route. I may not be rich, but because of hard work and honoring God I can say that we are no longer poor either. But most importantly, when I read this text, I can confidently identify with it and say, "Right living saved my life!"


Attaining wealth is not bad, but wealth must be pursued the right way. If you increase God's way, then you will be able to enjoy the benefits of wealth with a clear conscious, but if you pursue tainted wealth it can destroy your life and legacy. Take it from someone who had a front-row view of the destructive power of tainted wealth: don't pursue money, pursue God and He will take care of the rest! Father, I thank You for being my source and supply. I honor You with my finances and I seek to BE a blessing with everything You put into my hands. I work honestly and uprightly. I don't pursue tainted wealth. I do what is right in Your sight and I increase Your way. I work hard, I operate in integrity, I give back to You and to others, and I use money as my servant - not my master! In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment