Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Gain Understanding

Gain Understanding

Paulette Fraticelli

(Prov 9:10 NIV) If you really want to become wise, you must begin by having respect for the LORD. To know the Holy One is to gain understand

Tonight I am writing to you again from Maui we continuing our counseling/mentoring session with Lady Wisdom. She shares two golden nuggets in this text that are worthy of further examination:

1. If you really want to become wise, you must begin by having respect for the LORD: Solomon's point here is that true wisdom is birthed in the heart, not the head. Head knowledge alone is limited, but when head knowledge is fed from heart knowledge, it becomes supernatural. Reverencing the Lord, spending time with Him, and acknowledging His omniscience opens you up to His infinite insight. If you really want wisdom, you must pursue it from Jehovah

2. To know the Holy One is to gain understanding: The word "know" here connotes intimacy. This is not cursory knowledge, but rather a covenant relationship with God that is both personal and powerful. Lady Wisdom tells us that this personal relationship with the Father will enable us to gain understanding. Gaining understanding is absolutely paramount in life. I keeps us aware of the current condition. However, situational awareness is not the end-state. Successful communicators are able to process/digest the information in their own minds and formulate an internal "Situational Understanding;" with which they are able to make informed decisions.

The point being that all we can do, as communicators, is assure they have the information, but they must have the training and experience necessary to formulate their own understanding. Without understanding, failure is inevitable. Lady Wisdom tells us that knowing God - having a true and intimate relationship with Him - gives birth to understanding for life and living. Being aware of God's purpose for your life does not mean that you automatically have the understanding of how to fulfill it. Awareness is good, but understanding it better.

Solomon's father (David) told us that God had understanding when He made the heavens (Psalm 136:5). He was not haphazard in creation. There was a purpose behind everything He did. David also asked God to give him understanding, so that he could live (Psalm 119:144). David knew that if he had Godly understanding he could live the life God intended for him to live. Earlier in Proverbs Solomon said, "Understanding will guard you" (2:11), and "Blessed is the one who finds wisdom and the one who gets understanding" (3:13).

So what does this mean ? It means that you need understanding for life. You don't want to just be aware of God, of His Word and of His Spirit. No, you want to understand Him, His heart, His nature, His character and His desire for your life. You want to understand His purpose and how to fulfill it before you die. You want to understand where you are, where you need to go, and how you need to get there. Understanding takes you from information to practical application - from head knowledge to heart knowledge!

Father, I thank You for understanding. I acknowledge and respect You as the author and finisher of my faith; the creator and sustainer of my life. It is in You that I live, move, and have my being. Without You I am nothing. I have a personal and powerful relationship with You and this relationship enables me to gain understanding. Not only do You reveal to me my purpose in life, but You also give me the insight to fulfill it before I die. I have the information and the application. I have working knowledge of what You want to do in me, with me, and through me. Understanding makes all the difference in my life! In Jesus' name. Amen.
ing.





No comments:

Post a Comment