Thursday, March 26, 2009

Work is Honorable


Work is Honorable

Paulette Fraticelli


(Prov 10:4 WEB) He becomes poor who works with a lazy hand, but the hand of the diligent brings wealth.


We all have a family and we all have people in our families that either teach us what TO DO or what NOT TO DO. Whenever I think of the men in my family my father my brothers - my uncles, older cousins, etc. - I think of hard workers. .

From the time I was little I can remember the men in my family going out to work early in the morning and coming home late at night. My mother, too, was a hard worker. She taught me that it was noble and honorable to work. I saw my mother work and give. She was, and continues to be, a cheerful giver. She loves to be a blessing to others. Even to this day, whenever we walk into a store, she is on the lookout for things that she can buy to give away. Her hard work has enabled her to be blessed, in order that she might be a blessing (Gen 12:2).


Solomon tells us that lazy people are subject to poverty, but those that work diligently open the door to wealth. The God's Word translation says it plainly, "Lazy hands bring poverty, but hard-working hands bring riches."


Now, in Christ there are eternal and countless riches. There are many Spiritual riches that are way more valuable than money. But to be clear, this verse is talking about money. This is not a reference to Spiritual riches. This is a proverb that makes it clear that if you want to ahead in life - in any area of life - you are going to have to work at it. I challenge you to find ONE person, in the entire Bible, that God used mightily, that was lazy. I have searched for years and have not found one. Paul was one of the men called by God and he worked tirelessly to build God's Kingdom for the rest of his life. What do you think his perspective of hard work was? We can get an idea of where he stood on the issue by reading something he said in his second letter to the church in Thessalonica. In that letter he wrote, "If a man will not work, he shall not eat" (2nd Thes 3:10).


So what does this mean? A few things:

1. Walking with God does not exonerate us from work

.2. Working diligently is honorable and expected from God

.3. If you want to get ahead in life, don't expect God to do it all for you. You have a part and He has a part. If you do your part He will do His!


Father, I thank You for instilling in me a desire to work and to get ahead in life. I want to be blessed, so that I can BE a blessing. Use me as a conduit through which You can bless others. I put my hands to work and I ask You to bless the work of my hands. I commit everything I do to You and I trust also in You, to bring to pass Your best in my life. I do my part and I am completely confident that You will do Yours. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment