Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Todays Word Hating Sin





Hating Sin
BY Paulette Fraticelli

(Prov 8:13 NIrV) To have respect for the LORD is to hate evil. I hate pride and bragging. I hate evil ways and twisted words.

Yesterday we learned that walking with Lady Wisdom - by reading/applying God's Word and by allowing His Spirit to guide us - we can receive the blessed benefit of receiving witty inventions and divinely inspired ideas. Yes, it is good to walk with the Lord. There are awesome benefits laid up for Kingdom citizens. I am sure that Solomon learned a great deal from his father (David) and one of my favorite psalms is a psalm that his father wrote. The 103rd psalm starts out by saying, "Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits: who forgives all our iniquities; who heals all our diseases; Who redeems our life from destruction; who crowns us with lovingkindness and tender mercies; who satisfies our mouth with good things; so that our youth is renewed like the eagle's" (verses 1-5).

God desires great things for us. He takes the time to think about us (Psalm 8:4). He makes plans for our lives, good plans, plans to give us a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11). But please don't think that we have nothing to do with what happens to us. He has plans, but we must cooperate with those plans; and part of that cooperation is learning to love what He loves and to hate what He hates. Our text says, "To have respect for the LORD is to hate evil." Other translations call this "The fear of God." Many people today don't fear God. I don't mean a fear that leads to timidity, but rather a healthy reverential fear. Many have lost the reverence for God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, creator and sustainer of all life, alpha and omega, beginning and ending, author and finisher of our faith.

Lady Wisdom tells us that she hates pride and bragging, she hates evil ways and twisted words. She doesn't stand by as people tell dirty jokes. She doesn't celebrate those that are puffed up in arrogance. She calls right right and wrong wrong! She says what she means and she means what she says. She humbles herself under the mighty hand of God, because she knows that if she is faithful, God will exalt her in due season (1st Peter 5:6).The point Solomon is making is clear and that is that the more a person fears and respects God, the more he or she will hate evil. The more we grow in God the more we should develop distaste for unrighteousness. Love for God and love for sin cannot coexist. Now, I am not saying that you will be completely sinless, but I am saying that you should not practice sin.

Sin should no longer be your lifestyle. Sin should no longer be tolerable to you. It should bother you to be around sin. It should irritate when sin passes through your eye gates or your ear gates. If sin does not affect you at all, then there is something wrong. That's why we must be very careful no to harbor secret sin in our heart. If we tolerate sin within ourselves we will build up a tolerance for sin altogether. Before we know it, we will find ourselves developing excuses for why we do this and that; knowing that what we are doing is wrong. So what does this mean? It means that you should make a clean break from sin today. Commit yourself completely to God. I know you want God's best. I know you want God's blessing. I know you want to walk in grace, peace, protection, power, and health; but don't think that you can live like a heathen and still receive divine benefits



If you really want to walk in Your Best Life Now, then make a commitment to walk in the purity God desires for you to walk in. Father, I commit myself unto You afresh. I rededicate my life to You and I ask that You help me to walk in the purity You expect me to walk in. Holy Spirit, lead me, guide me, and direct me in the path of righteousness for Your name's sake. I commit myself into Your hands. I make a clean break from sin. I walk in the newness of life. I know that I have a part in what happens to me and I commit myself to do my part, by faith. Use me Father, for Your Glory! In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment