Thursday, September 10, 2009


Both Wisdom and Foolish are transferred by Association



(Prov 13:20 MSG) Become wise by walking with the wise; hang out with fools and watch your life fall to pieces.



This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon compares the benefits of walking with the wise, with the perils of hanging with fools. Remember who is sharing this with us. Solomon was the wisest man in the land. He knew first-hand the great lengths that people would go through to spend just a few minutes with him. How much do you think an hour with Solomon would be worth? In modern terms, how much do you think people would pay for a one on one hour-long session with Donald Trump, Bill Gates, or Warren Buffett?



From a ministry perspective, how valuable would a one on one hour-long session with Bishop T.D. Jakes, Rev. Billy Graham, or Pastor Rick Warren be? These are people who are considered masters of their craft and time with them is extremely valuable.



Why? Because those that go to great lengths to be in their presence are doing so with the hope that their lives would be impacted; that something would rub off. While we may never get to spend time with any of the aforementioned people for a "transfer" or an "impartation" to take place, we all spend time with people daily that are (whether we acknowledge it or not) influencing our lives.

Later on in Proverbs Solomon said,



"Don't envy evil people or desire their company" (24:1).




Why was Solomon so big on avoiding even the company of evil people? It's because Solomon knew that both wisdom and foolishness are transferred by association. The people we choose to associate with says a great deal about us. Most people choose friends that have like interests, ambitions, character, and lifestyle. I know the term "friend" is used lightly today, but it should be reserved for those that can make positive deposits in our lives and vice-versa. Since our time on the earth is limited, we should choose carefully whom we spend that time with, because at the end the day (good or bad), they will rub off on us.

When I gave my life to Christ and I knew that I wanted to be an intercessor so I immediately sought the company of intercessors. I wanted to hang out with them. I was curious to find out what they talked about. I wanted to see how they carried themselves. I wanted to observe them around their spouses and children.



What was I doing? I was learning a new culture, a new environment, a new lifestyle, a new way of living, and I was doing it by association. I knew that my life had changed, but I also knew that if I wanted to see lasting change I was going to have to change the people I associated with.



Why? Because if you tell me that you have moved, but I keep finding you at your old address, then maybe you haven't moved at all. I know we don't like to admit it, but in many ways we are a product of our environment.



Surround yourself with the right people and you will become the right person!

So what does this mean to you ? It means that your friends matter! Some things are taught, but many things are simply caught. You pickup things from people as you hang out with them, so make sure you are hanging out with the right crowd.



Choose the right friends and you will be influenced the right way. Surround yourself with fools and you will become a fool yourself.

Father, I thank You for explaining to me the importance of the company I keep. Your Word says, "Bad company corrupts good character" (1st Cor 15:33). Therefore, I refuse to surround myself with the wrong people. I understand that both wisdom and foolishness are transferred by association, so I choose to only surround myself with people of like precious faith; people that are striving to be all that You desire for them to be; people of Godly passion and purpose. I associate with the wise and I become wise myself! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment