Wednesday, September 16, 2009


Contentment

(Prov 13:25 NLT) An appetite for good brings much satisfaction, but the belly of the wicked always wants more.

This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon contrasts the appetites of the Godly and the wicked. The appetite Solomon refers to here can also be called your inner drive or inner motivation. We all have something that drives us to get out of the bed in the morning and face the day.

For many, especially whose without God, it’s the motivation to make money, to get ahead, and to keep up with the proverbial Jones’. The challenge is for us to be able to answer the following questions: What is enough? How much ‘stuff’ do you need to be happy? Do you need the ‘stuff’ to be happy? Is life about more than just the accumulation of things?

Solomon tells us that the Godly and the wicked both have an appetite, they are both driven by inner motives, but while the Godly enjoys much satisfaction in their walk with Christ, the wicked are never satisfied. Later on in Proverbs Solomon said,

“For the despondent, every day brings trouble; for the happy heart, life is a continual feast” (Prov 15:15).


Every day for the believer should be a feast where we eat, are full in God, and satisfied in His goodness. Now, this does not mean that ambition is bad, or determination is somehow wicked, but what it does mean is that as a children of God we can aspire to maximize our purpose and potential, while being completely content in our current state.

I don’t mean a contentment that leads to stagnation, but rather one that leads to an internal and overwhelming peace.

This peace, God’s peace, is birthed out of the knowledge that we are in God, He is in us, and He will never leave us helpless or hopeless. The writer of Hebrews said,

“Let your character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!]” (Heb 13:5 AMP).

Greed has ruined many lives, but when we know that God is in us, on us, with us, and for us, we develop the ability to be content wherever we are (physically or financially).

Paul said, “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want” (Phil 4:11,12).

I too can say that I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation. I am currently at work and yesterday my husband was in a very bad accident. Do I miss being with him and helping him through all the issues he has to face today? Absolutely! So I miss the fact that I can not be there to support him as he has to call and get this all solved? Yes!! But do I know that I am here on purpose and I at peace with and in God? Yes I am! Did I know I serve a big God that took care of my husband during this accident that could have been much worst that him just walking away with a lot of cuts and bruises, yes, Did I had to forgive the other driver for his neglect that could have cost my husbands life? Absolutely!

So what does this mean to you? It means that the Father wants you to learn the secret of being content in Him. This is about more than just money, or greed, or an insatiable desire for ‘things.’ It’s about knowing that God is with you wherever you are and in every situation. Solomon described a wicked person who is never satisfied. There is a difference between wanting to grow and ungodly ambition. Never fall into the category of the latter.

Thank God for where you are today, no matter the situation, and receive His inner peace.

Father, I thank You for birthing inside of me an inner drive to grow, to develop in You, to evolve into the person You desire for me to be, and to maximize my purpose and potential, in the earth, before I die. And I also thank You for blessing my husband and I to be able to find contentment along the way. My desire for growth will never disrupt my inner peace in You. Thank You Father for committing to never leave US helpless and to never relax Your hold on US. Your presence gives US peace. I enter this day with an inner drive to grow more, but also with an inner satisfaction for all that I have already grown in You. In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment