Wednesday, September 30, 2009



Don't Be Deceived

(Prov 14:12,13 MSG) There's a way of life that looks harmless enough; look again-it leads straight to hell. Sure, those people appear to be having a good time, but all that laughter will end in heartbreak

This morning we continue our series, Solomon continues to flow in the same vein as yesterday's message as he tells us that there is a way of life that seems harmless enough, but that way leads to hell. The New International Version of verse 12 reads:

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death."

There's the problem. The way without God, for many, seems right; it seems harmless enough. I have met countless people that have said things like, "Hey, I'm a good person. I try to live a good life. I don't bother anyone. I think I am good to go." The problem with that argument is that none of us - on our own merit alone - are good enough.

We have all sinned and come short of the glory of God (Rom 3:23).

We have all come up short. We have all missed the mark. We have all done things that violated God's standard. But then there those that say, "That's the problem right there. I don't believe in this 'so-called' God's standard. Man wrote the Bible anyway. I don't believe that stuff. If there is a god, he will be OK with me, because I live a good life." The problem with that argument is that there is a God, He has given us His Word, His Word is true, and His Word clearly offers us eternal life through His Son Jesus.

John plainly stated: "This is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life" (1st John 5:11,12). Whenever I read that passage I normally follow it up by asking, "What are your questions? It does not get much plainer than that.

Eternal life is available, but only through Jesus. But many don't believe it. Many have been deceived into thinking that the Bible is wrong, that there is no such thing as heaven or hell, or that if there is, they will 'make the cut' based upon their supposed goodness.

Eve fell into this trap. She knew what God said. She knew His standard. She knew the consequences. She knew that if she violated God's command that she was going to die and she told that to the serpent (Gen 3:3). But the serpent (satan) said, "You will not surely die" (Gen 3:4).

Do you see what happened? He spoke against God's Word. He basically told Eve that God's Word was not true and she made the fatal mistake of believing him. Paul tells us that Eve was "Deceived by the serpent's cunning" (2nd Cor 11:3) and he warns not to fall into the same trap.

During the Sermon on the Mount Jesus said, "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it" (Mat 7:13,14).

So what does this mean to you It means that there is a Broad Way, but believe me, that's not the one you want to visit. Satan has deceived multitudes into believing that God's Word is not true, that His standard is old-fashioned, and that His way of living is not practical today. But don't be deceived. Not only is God's Word true and His way of living practical, but it is AWESOME!

The enemy attempts to lure people down his path by telling them that they can have fun with him, but as a believer not only do you have eternal life, but you can enjoy life NOW! You can enjoy supernatural peace NOW, even when faced with challenges. You can have an indescribable joy NOW, even while surrounded by despair. You can experience God's overwhelming love NOW, even in a world full of hate. Yes, many have been deceived, but you can help lead them out of their deception if you walk in the fullness of the life Christ Jesus died to give you.

Show the world that God's way is true and it's AMAZING!

Father, I thank You for sending people my way that shared Your love and Your light with me when I was lost and deceived. I now see how many are where I used to be. Use me Father to share Your love and light with them. Help me to represent Your Kingdom in the right way, so that they can see the error of their ways. Not only have you given me eternal life, but You have given me an awesome and amazing life NOW! And I will never cease to thank You for it! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment