Thursday, September 17, 2009


A Godly Wife

(Prov 14:1 NLT) A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands.


This morning we continue our series, In this verse Solomon contrasts wise and foolish women. On the one hand you have the wise woman. She is a blessing to her household. She works diligently and conscientiously. She is always on the lookout for ways to be a blessing to her husband and her children. She manages the home, nurtures and educates the children, and does all that she can to ensure her home is refuge for her family from the daily grind of the world.

Now, some of you may be thinking: but what about today? You are describing a homemaker. What about a woman who works outside of the home? I believe the same applies. While working outside of the home does make things more challenging for the family, the same principles apply.

God expects the wife (and the husband for that matter) to do all that she can to build up, and never tear down her home. Physically, she makes sure that the home is taken care of and well maintained. Spiritually, she prays over her children, her husband, and her property. Relationally, she provides comfort and correction to her children, while being a source of strength and love to her husband.

Who is she? She is a Godly wife – later described as a Virtuous Woman (chapter 31) – who builds her home (the physical structure and the family bond) with God’s grace and strength.

On the other hand you have the foolish woman. This woman is a liability (instead of an asset) to her family. Instead of working diligently, she is lazy. Instead of maintaining everything, she allows things to do into disrepair. Instead of saving, she is wasteful. Instead of teaching her children the scriptures, she neglects her Godly duties. Instead of satisfying her husband’s physical needs, she neglects him altogether. Instead of making her home a refuge for her family, she makes it a place where neither the children, nor her husband want to come home to.

Later in Proverbs Solomon said, “Better to live on the roof than share the house with a nagging wife” (21:9). Solomon says that she literally tears her house down with her own hands. She single-handedly destroys all that she and her husband spent time to building. This is NOT the type of wife that God expects believing women to be.

One of the greatest things I think I possess is my belief and confidence in my husband. If he ever feels down, he knows that I will build him up. If he ever have a long and hard day, he know that he can come home and find refuge, because I have made our house a home of peace.

When he enter the doors he is able to release any stress, struggle, and strain from the day. I know that I am a Virtuous Woman and for that I am eternally thankful. Because in the natural I could have never done the things I do but with the help of our Super Natural God I am more than able. I am (no question) a better woman, wife, mother, and minister of the gospel, because of what God has placed in me. I have built a home (the physical structure and the family bond) that is a blessing to my entire household.

So what does this mean to? This message is obviously geared towards women and it means that as believers, as daughters of Zion and women of God, you should seek to be a blessing to your family. Whether you work outside of the home or not, the Father expects you to establish and atmosphere of development and peace, not one of destruction and turmoil.

Be the wise woman who builds her home, not the foolish woman who tears it down.

Father, I thank You for blessing me to be a Godly and Virtuous Woman. I declare, by faith, that I am a blessing and never a burden to my family. I overcome laziness and procrastination. I work diligently and dutifully. I establish an atmosphere of peace and rest for my husband and my children to come home to. I make sure they never dread coming home, but rather look forward to entering their refuge. When they come to me, I provide them with comforting and consoling words; words that build up and never tear down. I am the wife You desire for me to be! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment