Friday, September 11, 2009

In this Photo 3 genrations of my family memebers
Generational Impact

(Prov 13:22 AMP) A good man leaves an inheritance [of moral stability and goodness] to his children's children, and the wealth of the sinner [finds its way eventually] into the hands of the righteous, for whom it was laid up.

This morning we continue our series In this verse Solomon tells us that a good man leaves and inheritance for his children’s children. In other words, he makes preparations in his life that will affect the lives of his grandchildren.

He also mentions something interesting and that is that the wealth of the sinner can actually be transferred to the righteous. Solomon is clearly addressing the financial responsibilities we have as parents, but his point is not limited to just money.

Let’s discuss the financial aspect first. Solomon knew first-hand the benefits of having a parent who made preparations for them (financially and otherwise). David started out as a shepherd boy and finished off as a Godly appointed and anointed king. He transferred the throne, the kingdom and his wealth to his children.

As parents, we should all want to leave our children better of than we were. We should make the preparations necessary to ensure that we are a blessing and NOT a burden to our children (and grandchildren) when we die.

Simply put, our death should not put undue stress on our children. They will have enough to deal with. During the time of bereavement, a financial burden should be the least of their worries. As Godly parents we must prepare for the inevitable and from Solomon’s perspective, our goal should be to live our lives in such a way that we are actually able to leave an inheritance that will impact two generations.

Now, while the inheritance includes money, it is definitely NOT limited to money. David prepared Solomon spiritually for his life’s assignment. God is a God of family and He deals with families.

He is too big of a God and our lifespan is too short of a time for God to JUST focus on us.

When He works on (and in) us, He is looking for lasting change. He wants the deposit He makes in our lives to become a spiritual legacy that makes generational impact. It is never God’s intent for the next generation to have to start from scratch (spiritually or financially).

Isaac received a legacy of righteousness from Abraham, Jacob from Isaac, the 12 sons from Jacob, and etc. God is a God of progression, not regression, and He desires our children have the advantage of tapping into everything that we have learned from Him and about Him, in addition to what they learn on their own.

In other words, my children have access to everything I have learned in God, with God, and about God. I would love to freely teach them what I know however, there not in a place that they want to learn about God right now. When they do I will happily pour into them all I do know and they can couple that with what they will learn themselves. This gives them a spiritual advantage in life.

But all of this requires effort on the part of the parent. Parenting is not easy, but it is necessary and the Father expects us to parent with diligence and purpose.

A Father (in my case it would have been mother as I was a single parent) must do more than just have children. He/she raises his/her children to become mature adults. It is a painful, costly, time consuming, life draining, “stay up all hours of the night” type of relationship. It is not always a joyful experience for the Father/mother or the Son/daughter. The cost is everything a Father /mother has within him. The benefit is a son/daughter who will honor his Father/mother.

So what does this mean to you ? It means that we are called to parent our children. That means that we should seek to prepare them (financially and spiritually) for success in life Leadership is a servant relationship that facilitates human development. and the development of our children should be the goal of our parenting.

Father, I thank You for teaching me how to be a Godly parent to my children. I will make the proper financial preparations required to ensure that, in my death, I will be a blessing and not a burden to my children. But I don’t wait until death to be a blessing. I bless my children NOW prayerfully – spiritually and financially – for Godly success in life. I put the Word before them, I cover them in prayer, I share my life lessons, and I take the time to listen to them when they need to talk. No matter the time, energy, or effort it required, I am committed to leaving an inheritance of righteousness! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment