Tuesday, September 8, 2009


Criticism and Correction
(Prov 13:18 NLT) If you ignore criticism, you will end in poverty and disgrace; if you accept correction, you will be honored.

This morning we continue our series We live in a society today that is straying away from standards. Instead of calling right "right" and wrong "wrong," there is a tendency to accept anything and everything.

This desire for acceptance may be dangerously driving us from the benefits of correction. We all need correction and criticism if we are to develop into the men and women God desires for us to be. Simply put, we cannot maximize our purpose and potential without the input of others.

I saw a report not too long ago that some communities have decided to stop keep score during T-Ball games for little boys, because they don't want some of the kids to be the "losers." Instead of having winners and losers, they just want everyone to enjoy the fact that they participated.

I believe this mentality is being instituted by adults who don't like to be compared or corrected. I often hear people at work say, "We need to treat everyone the same," or "You can't show any favoritism." There is a difference between favoritism and reward.

Those that separate themselves from the pack should be rewarded accordingly, but they can't be rewarded if the system refuses to analyze, criticize, compare and correct them.

This is dangerous, because God, through Solomon, is clear that we need criticism and correction. Let's look at the definitions of these words from Noah Webster's American dictionary of the English Language (1828). This version is often very different from our modern versions.

Criticism: The act of judging on the merit of a performance; remark on the beauties and faults; critical observation.

Correction: The act of bringing back from error or deviation, to a just standard, as to truth, rectitude, justice or propriety; that which is intended to rectify or cure faults; all scripture is profitable for correction (2nd Tim 3); withhold not correction from a child (Prov 23); in scriptural language, whatever tends to correct the moral conduct, and bring back from error or sin; My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord, nor be weary of His correction (Prov 3).

Webster references Paul's words to Timothy. Let me give you the rest of it:
"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip His people to do every good work." (2nd Tim 3:16,17).

Without correction, we would all go astray. Earlier in Proverbs Solomon said: "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid" (12:1). Solomon was quite possibly the wisest human to ever live, outside of Jesus. But even Solomon made mistakes. Not even Solomon could get around the fact that he needed correction. Godly corrections are purposeful and very necessary. None of us are perfect. As believers, who are striving to truly grow, we must welcome correction and not fight against it. Solomon calls those that do "stupid."

Solomon's warning is clear. If you reject criticism and correction, it will lead to "poverty and disgrace." Many have wrecked their lives by refusing to accept the counsel of those God sent to correct them. So as you enter this day, determine to be a F.A.T. Christian; meaning: Faithful, Available, and Teachable.

Father, I thank You for correcting to me through Your Word, Your Spirit and others. I need correction and criticism. I need to be brought back from error and deviation. All of us, like sheep, go astray, but I declare, by faith, that I will welcome, accept and apply the correction You provide for me. I shall not end up in poverty and disgrace. I will be honored in life as I seek to maximize my purpose and potential before I die! I want to die empty and I know that I cannot without your correction. Thank You for loving me enough to tell me when I am wrong and for getting me back on Your desired path for my life! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment