Monday, September 21, 2009


The Lips of the Wise

(Prov 14:3 ASV) In the mouth of the foolish is a rod for his pride; But the lips of the wise shall preserve them.


This morning we continue our series in this verse Solomon contrasts the lips of the foolish with the lips of the wise. He makes it clear that the lips of the foolish are filled with a rod, because of their pride. The rod is a reference to punishment.

In other words, he is saying that the prideful words of the foolish will get them in trouble, whereas the lips of the wise will keep them out of it. The Good News Bible translation of this verse reads:

“Proud fools talk too much; the words of the wise protect them.”

I am sure we have all met prideful people who talk too much. The Bible has a lot to say about pride and it something that we must all be careful of. As a matter of fact, pride is one of satan’s “Big Three” weapons; which are:
1) the lust of the flesh,
2) the lust of the eyes, and
3) the pride of life (1st John 2:16).

The enemy knows that if he can get us to operate in pride, that we will get ourselves out of the will of God. Make no mistake, satan knows the Word and He know that God “Resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble” (1st Peter 5:5). He knows that, “

Pride goes before destruction” (Proverbs 16:18), and that “When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom” (Proverbs 11:2).

Yes, no doubt about it, our enemy knows all the ins and outs of pride. And he knows first-hand the repercussions of it, pride was what got him kicked out of heaven. Isaiah talks about it in the 14th chapter of his book:

“Satan said, “I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High" (Isaiah 14:13,14).

What do you see in those two verses? You see how satan’s mouth was filled with a rod for his pride. His prideful words got him in trouble.

Let’s look at another example. When God desired to lead His people out of Egypt, He chose Moses to operate through (and with). When Moses arrived in Egypt and got an audience with Pharaoh, he said what God told him to say:

“This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Let My people go so they may hold a festival in My honor in the wilderness.”

Although Pharaoh was a king, Moses was the mouthpiece for the King of kings and the Lord of lords. Moses was speaking for the Most High God, but Pharaoh, full of pride, said, “Is that so? And who is the LORD? Why should I listen to Him and let Israel go? I don't know the LORD, and I will not let Israel go” (Exodus 5:1,2). We all know how that story ended.

So what does this mean to you ? It means that if you want to remain in the Blessing, and if you desire to walk in God’s best, then you must make every effort to fill your lips with humility and Godly wisdom. Make no doubt about it, the power of death and life are in the tongue (Proverbs 18:21) and your words DO matter. When your words are seasoned with humility and grace, you literally protect yourself from self-inflicted wounds. But when you allow pride to fill your lips, you open the door to destruction. Pride pleases satan, humility (controlled confidence) pleases God.

So as you enter this day, be determined to resist pride and to fill your lips with the humility the Father expects from you.

Father, I thank You for blessing me to make a difference today in the lives of others. I know that I am, who I am, by Your grace and Your goodness. I know that I am able to do, what I am able to do, because You have blessed me to do it. I know that I am NOT my own person. I am Your child, I am called according to Your purpose, and without You, I can do nothing. I honor You, I respect You, and I submit to You as I enter this day. I resist every temptation to operate in pride and I fill my lips with Your grace, Your humility, and Your Love! My lips are the lips of the wise and they preserve me! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment