Tuesday, September 22, 2009


A Faithful Witness

Prov 14:4 AMP) A faithful witness will not lie, but a false witness breathes out falsehoods.

This morning we continue our series in this verse Solomon contrasts the faithful witness, who will not lie, with the false witness, who can't help but breathe falsehoods. We know that God is a God of integrity and that He expects the same of His children. We know that He is truth and in Him there is no lying.

As a matter of fact, in this series I have already covered the fact God cannot lie (see Titus 1:2). And we have also learned that not only is a satan a liar, but he is the father of lies.

In John chapter eight Jesus had conversation with a group of Jews that came up against him. They were supposedly waiting for the Messiah, but He was standing right in front of them. They devised a plan to kill Jesus and in their minds they were doing this for God. They were deceived and not walking with God at all.

Jesus plainly and boldly told them: "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies" (John 8:42-44). Now that's strong language, but it's the truth. The devil is a liar and the father of lies. Lying is his native tongue.

In chapter two we Solomon said, "He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity" (2:7). In chapter eight God said the following through Solomon: "For I speak the truth and detest every kind of deception. My advice is wholesome. There is nothing devious or crooked in it. My words are plain to anyone with understanding, clear to those with knowledge" (8:7-9); and "I walk in ways that are honest. I take paths that are right. I leave riches to those who love me. I give them more than they have room for" (8:20,21).

Believe me, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out the fact that God expects us to operate in truth and honestly, instead of lies and deceit. But what I see different in this morning's verse is that Solomon chose to use the word, "faithful" instead of simply saying, "honest." It's the faithful witness who will not lie. Notice that he did not say he could not. He definitely can, but since he is faithful to God he refuses to violate his integrity.

He is so faithful that he is committed to God in ALL his ways. He is not just committed when people are looking. He is not just committed in church on Sundays. He is not just committed when things are going well. He is not just committed for a month, or a year, or even a decade. He is a faithful man and he wills his will to line up with God's character! Believe me, men (and women) like this are not common. In the 20th chapter Solomon said, "Many a man claims to have unfailing love, but a faithful man who can find?" (20:6). This was from the New International Version, the New Living Translation of reads: "Many will say they are loyal friends, but who can find one who is truly reliable?"

So what does this mean to you ? It means that the Father expects you to be faithful, and I mean truly faithful! Are you the faithful woman (or man). God is looking for? Are you truly reliable? Are you committed to walking in Godly character every day of your life? Are you the person that wills their will to please the Lord? If so, you WILL walk in the Blessing!

Father, I thank You for laying out the clear standard in Your Word. I declare, right now, by faith, that I am that faithful woman (or man). I am truly reliable, because I walk in Your Word, Your will, and Your way. I will my will to please You. I resist every temptation to violate Your integrity and to dishonor the Godly character You have developed in me. I speak the truth, I walk in love, and I abstain from even the appearance of evil. Why? Because I am FAITHFUL and I shall be all the days of my life! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment