Tuesday, September 1, 2009


Two Ways

(Prov 13:15 NIV) Good understanding wins favor, but the way of the unfaithful is hard.

This morning we continue our series. In this verse Solomon contrasts two ways (or paths). Let's take a closer look at each. I chose the New International Version for our focus text. It calls the first way the way of "Good understanding," which is able to gain us favor; and the second, "The way of the unfaithful," which is simply hard.

The Message Bible calls the first way: the way of sound thinking, that makes for gracious living; while the second is: the way of liars, which leads you down a rough road. The New Living Translation says that the first way is for people with good sense and it leads to respect, while the second way is reserved for treacherous people and it leads them to destruction. If that were not clear enough, I looked at this verse in the original Hebrew and looked up the definitions of the words used. The word used to describe the first way is also translated: wisdom, intelligence, knowledge, discretion, prudence, sense, and understanding. The word used to describe the benefits of walking in this way is also translated: grace, pleasant, precious, and well favored. The word used to describe the second way is also translated: deceitful, transgressor, offender, and treacherous. And the word used to describe the results of walking in this way is also translated: rough, strong, and difficult. By this point you may be thinking? " why are you telling me all of this? Why are you looking at so much background on this on verse?" Well, for two reasons:

1) Because I want to be accurate, and

2) Because I want to be clear.

When you look at what God (through Solomon) has said to us here, the message becomes vividly clear that there are two options in life. You can either walk with God or without Him. You can either choose to accept Jesus as your Lord or you can reject Him.

There are really no other choices and you will reap either the reward or the peril of whatever you choose. The first way, the path that includes God, is a way full of His wisdom, revelation, understanding, and insight; and this way is wonderful. It leads to a blessed life. God does not only want you to make it to heaven, but He wants you to enjoy the ride. When you walk in His wisdom you open yourself up to His benefits. But the second way is also available and many choose to walk down it. This path excludes God and it is a path that is hard, difficult, and extremely challenging. So what does this mean to you? It means you must make your choice. You can either choose the path that includes God or the one that excludes Him. Both paths include challenges. I would love to tell you that the path with God is free from obstacles, but I would be lying. The difference, however, is that when you face those challenges WITH God, WITH His insight, wisdom, revelation and understanding, you are able to come out on top every time!

However, on the path without God you face challenges as well, but you don't have the benefit of His grace. So choose God today. I mean really choose Him. Choose to face every day with His Spirit as your guide, His Word as your foundation, and His wisdom as the ruler by which you judge every decision.

If you do that you will experience the grace and favor God and you will enjoy every day of your life, as you make your journey from earth to glory, from labor to reward, from time to eternity! Father, thank You for making both paths vividly clear through Your Word. There is no mistake about it, I have two paths available to me, but I declare, right now, that I make my choice. I choose life and blessing, not death and cursing.

I choose Your path Father. I enter every day with the blessed benefits of Your wisdom, insight, revelation and understanding. I am led by Your Spirit and governed by Your Word. I have accepted Jesus as my Lord. I am on my way to heaven and I am determined to enjoy the ride. No matter what I face, I know that I do not face it alone. I face every challenge head-on, by faith, and with the confidence to know that I will come out on top! In Jesus' name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment