Wednesday, September 2, 2009


Slow Down

(Prov 13:16 NLT) Wise people think before they act; fools don't—and even brag about their foolishness.

This morning we continue our series. In this verse Solomon contrasts the wisdom of taking the time to think before you act and the foolishness that is often the result of haste. This is a tough one for our modern society. Humans today don’t like waiting for anything or slowing down at all. We get up early, go to sleep late, and try to accomplish way too much in between.

Most of us have “To Do” lists with no end in sight and our calendars are full of meetings, phone conferences, decisions that have to be made, actions that have to be done, places we need to go, and people we need to see.

Further, our desks and inboxes are full of things we need to read and when we look at it all, in addition to making sure we have time for our faith, family, and fitness, it can all seem overwhelming; which is why most Americans are always hustling and bustling. This ‘need for speed’ lends itself to a microwave society and a microwave mentality.

Everything has to be done fast, so we often sacrifice quality for quickness.

Solomon ran a successful nation with a surplus economy. He knew a thing or two about getting things done and his wisdom to us is to slow down long enough to think before we speak or act. He makes it clear that fools don’t and while none of us want to be a fool, if we would be honest, we sometimes act like fools when we don’t give issues the proper time they need.

It’s my observation that most people today are not thinkers. Many don’t even like to think. They are so accustomed to rushing through their day that they don’t give any one thing the courtesy of careful thought.

Let me give you an example. Were I work we have some major challenges we have to think through. To address the issues we routinely pull a group of people together, we sit by a whiteboard, and we think through the challenges; which often requires brainstorming, freethinking, and the occasional off-the-wall idea. But sometimes, while we are holding these sessions, someone comes by, sees what we are doing, and then says something like, “You just think too much for me.” That’s sad.

God has blessed us with mental ability, but most of us don’t take the time to use it. We are so driven to get things done that we don’t realize that we can actually get more done, in a more quality fashion, if we slowed down long enough to think.

Matthew Henry, when commenting on this verse, said: “It is wisdom to be cautious. Every prudent discreet man does all with knowledge (considering with himself and consulting with others)… careful not to meddle with that which he has not some knowledge of, not to launch out into business which he has not acquainted himself with, will not deal with those that he has not some knowledge of, whether they may be confided in. He is still dealing in knowledge, that he may increase the stock he has. It is folly to be rash, as the fool is, who is forward to talk of things he knows nothing of and undertake that which he is no way fit for, and so lays open his folly and makes himself ridiculous.”

So what does this mean? It simply means that you should slow down long enough to think things through. I am not saying that you should not act, just that you should not act without careful thought. Once you have the knowledge you should act with fearless confidence. Andrew Jackson said, “Take time to be deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in.”

Father, thank You for blessing me with a brain. I declare, right now, by faith, that I have the mental ability to think through all the challenges I will face today. I operate with both education and revelation. I use my mind and I am led of Your Spirit. Together, I am more than equipped to be successful in every area of my life. As I enter this day I declare that my mind is alert and sharp, my body is awake and ready, and I can face this day with fearless confidence; knowing that by Your grace I will succeed! In Jesus’ name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment